Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2156249 - 12/06/17 05:39 PM CRA for Indirect Auto Loans?
Texas Prof Offline
Within the past year our bank has established an indirect auto lending program. Our indirect lender, with 20-plus years of experience, informed us that his previous institution used to claim indirect auto loans for CRA credit, apparently if the borrower lived in an LMI tract.

Does anyone know if indirect auto loans are eligible to be claimed for CRA credit, and if so, what are the stipulations?

If relevant to the issue, we are an OCC-regulated bank with over $1 billion in assets.

Thanks!

Return to Top
CRA
#2156259 - 12/06/17 06:06 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
Tennismom Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Look at page 15 of A Guide to CRA Data Collection and Reporting https://www.ffiec.gov/cra/pdf/2015_CRA_Guide.pdf . It addresses consumer loans.

Return to Top
#2156326 - 12/06/17 09:38 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
Texas Prof Offline
Thank you, Tennismom! I appreciate the guidance.

Return to Top
#2252491 - 04/16/21 05:15 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
We are considering adding an employee that would be located in another state that concentrates on signing indirect dealers with the bank and originating loans from the area (there is a legitimate business case for bringing the employee on). We currently operate in 1 state. What CRA issues should I be on the lookout for? we will be monitoring the volume of loans and % outside of our current assessment areas as we currently do and make changes to our assessment area as needed based on the results. any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Return to Top
#2252496 - 04/16/21 05:46 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am just curious. Is this employee going to be working out of their house? You are not establishing a LPO? Is your HR on board with this idea and can handle multiple state taxes, unemployment insurance payments, etc.?

Return to Top
#2252507 - 04/16/21 07:08 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
All good questions. I believe they would be working from a home office which is not changing much from what most of us have done over the past year. I am assuming they will be driving around to the dealerships also for relationship building. We have a few commercial lenders in a city outside of our assessment area that are working from their home office as well. No new LPO that I know of. Not sure about HR, I am just researching the CRA aspect.

Return to Top
#2252515 - 04/16/21 07:54 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, I am not a CRA expert and there are better ones than me in the threads. I think you would just have to watch your inside/outside ratio.

Basically I was just more curious than anything as to how this would work. Can you really have a presence in another State like this without State regulatory approval? Just seems strange to me that this would be allowed otherwise why would a bank branch into or open LPOs in other States when they could just hire a string of loan officers to knock on doors?

Return to Top
#2252528 - 04/16/21 08:42 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? Texas Prof
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
I am not a CRA expert either and was thinking the same thing you are. As for the regulatory approval - I don't know the answer to that either without asking the regulators.

Return to Top
#2252579 - 04/19/21 03:55 PM Re: CRA for Indirect Auto Loans? rlcarey
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by rlcarey
Well, I am not a CRA expert and there are better ones than me in the threads. I think you would just have to watch your inside/outside ratio.

I'd watch the inside/outside ratio and the LMI/non-LMI comparison too. Depending on your dealership locations and your regulator, you might need to map dealership locations for redlining purposes.

Return to Top