Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2156367 - 12/07/17 02:24 AM Business Purpose - Home Improvement
Aruba123 Offline
New York
As I understand it, under the revised rules, the new purpose priority is as follows:

If any part of the covered loan is for purchase of a dwelling: Report it as a PURCHASE

If no part of a covered loan is for a home purchase, but proceeds are for a refinance in addition to a stated other purpose such home improvement: Report it as REFINANCING

If no part of a covered loan is for a home purchase, but proceeds are for home improvement as well as a refinance: Report it as REFINANCING

Refinance trumps home improvement.

Does this also apply to business purpose loans as well? For example, if a borrower is refinancing a multifamily dwelling to improve the heating system, according to the revised rules, would this would be coded as a refinance, since refinance now trumps home improvement?

When would we report a business loan as a home improvement?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2156372 - 12/07/17 05:38 AM Re: Business Purpose - Home Improvement Aruba123
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
Does this also apply to business purpose loans as well? For example, if a borrower is refinancing a multifamily dwelling to improve the heating system, according to the revised rules, would this would be coded as a refinance, since refinance now trumps home improvement?

Yes, it applies to business purpose loans too. And yes, your example is a refinance.

Quote:
When would we report a business loan as a home improvement?

If I applied to received funds to remodel a rental house or apartment building (new money - nothing refinanced or purchased with the proceeds). That would be a home improvement purpose but a business purpose loan.

Return to Top
#2156395 - 12/07/17 02:00 PM Re: Business Purpose - Home Improvement Aruba123
Aruba123 Offline
New York
Thank you David!

Return to Top
#2156484 - 12/07/17 06:39 PM Re: Business Purpose - Home Improvement Aruba123
Aruba123 Offline
New York
I have a question regarding free and clear properties (new money).

In the scenario where a borrower owns a property free and clear, and the borrower obtains a loan on the free and clear property to purchase another property:

1. Which property do we report on the HMDA LAR? I think it's the one taken as collateral (the free and clear one)
2. How should we report it? I think purchase since the borrower is purchasing a property. It is not a refinance since there was no existing debt to satisfy and not a HI.

Do I have this right?

Thank you!

Return to Top
#2156492 - 12/07/17 07:04 PM Re: Business Purpose - Home Improvement Aruba123
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
1. Yes, the collateral property.
2. Yes, purchase.

Return to Top
#2156502 - 12/07/17 07:31 PM Re: Business Purpose - Home Improvement Aruba123
Aruba123 Offline