Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2153694 - 11/15/17 05:35 PM Gift to president for Bosses Day
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Just wondering if anyone gives the president of the bank a gift on Bosses Day, Christmas etc. We were just told that a gift was purchased and were told what our share of the cost would be. I personally don't think buying a gift for the president is necessary or appropriate.

I think this subject has been discussed here before but could not find anything using the Search engine.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2153696 - 11/15/17 05:39 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Nope. I send my boss an e-mail sending her boss' day wishes and thank her for her support each year but that's it. And no, she's not the President but high up in the company.

Return to Top
#2153701 - 11/15/17 05:44 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Lol! That is funny Patricia! I have never heard of a bank doing something like that. Sounds like there may be an uber brown-noser who bought the gift and now wants everyone else to help chip in although they will take most of the credit for the gift.

Return to Top
#2153728 - 11/15/17 07:44 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day RockChucker, CAMS
Compliance Rookie Offline
North Carolina
Originally Posted By RockChucker, CAMS
Sounds like there may be an uber brown-noser who bought the gift and now wants everyone else to help chip in although they will take most of the credit for the gift.

I agree with RockChucker, it takes an astounding level of audacity to make a unilateral group decision seemingly without consulting those involved and then turn right around and start demanding people help pay for it. Personally, I enjoy donating to the different drives and causes that circulate around the office, especially near the holidays. But if someone tried to do that here, I would let them know what to do with that gift, if you catch my meaning...

Return to Top
#2153774 - 11/15/17 09:15 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
just tell them you are a Jehovah's Witness and therefore do not recognize bosses day...problem solved

Return to Top
#2156462 - 12/07/17 05:20 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We used to purchase a gift for our President for Christmas. It was never required that you give $ as the card was signed from all employees and never just listed who gave towards the purchase. We have not done this in the last 5 years. Also, we used to always received bonuses, it was a given, not tied to anything just a Christmas present. Now they are tied to certain criteria and performance.

Return to Top
#2156563 - 12/08/17 01:50 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If participation is voluntary and unrecorded, then it's a gift. If you were not asked and just get a bill, verbal or written, it's extortion. Seriously annoying....

As a boss, I would make it plain there were not going to be any "gifts."

Return to Top
#2156594 - 12/08/17 04:35 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
I can't imagine what you would purchase for the bank president. I'm sure it is awkward for him/her to receive the present as well. Email or even group card with everyone's signature would have been more than enough. I personally don't like gifting in the workplace.

Return to Top
#2156743 - 12/11/17 02:48 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I have to agree with Ken on this. My team is about 30+ people and one year they got me a fairly expensive bottle of scotch. I felt bad they spent that much money and then I had to report as it exceeded the value in our Code of Conduct. It was made very clear that this could not happen again.

Return to Top
#2159363 - 01/05/18 03:28 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
I get my boss the same thing every year for Christmas and Bosses day.
Nothing.

Return to Top
#2159612 - 01/08/18 07:36 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I send an email to my team every year around Thanksgiving, telling them that they have better things to spend money on than me, and while the gesture is appreciated, I would much prefer they put whatever they were going to spend on me towards toys for tots or some other Christmas related charity.

Return to Top
#2160871 - 01/18/18 03:10 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day Patricia
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
My team, for the last two years, chose to put our money to adopting Angels from Salvation Army's Angel Tree rather than exchange gifts with each other.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry