Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2157243 - 12/14/17 03:11 PM Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land
Working From Home Offline
Gold Star
We are doing a cash out "refinance" on a free and clear property (no current mortgage on it). The proceeds will be used to purchase raw land. Is this HMDA reportable? It would not be considered a refinance under the HMDA definition since they are not replacing any debt. Is it considered a purchase because of the raw land being purchased, or since there is no dwelling, it is excluded from reporting?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2157250 - 12/14/17 03:25 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
Adam F Offline
Gold Star
Adam F
VA
No dwelling being purchased, refinanced or improved = Not HMDA (For 2017)
Last edited by NSF; 12/14/17 05:00 PM. Reason: Clarified my answer pre2018

The answers I give are my opinions. Not legal advice.

Return to Top
#2157251 - 12/14/17 03:25 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
No, it doesn't meet any of the current purpose requirements. However, if this loan were to close in January or later, it would be reportable as an "other" (after re-reading.....i'm assuming that the property owned free and clear has a dwelling on it....if not, then it wouldn't be reportable now or in 2018).

Return to Top
#2157252 - 12/14/17 03:26 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Let me clarify what i said above...if it has a dwelling on it, the loan closes in 2018 or later, and it's a consumer purpose loan, it would be reportable. Closes in 2017--not reportable.

Return to Top
#2157253 - 12/14/17 03:29 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land raitchjay
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
and to clarify raitchjay's comment a little further: if the collateral has a dwelling on it, the loan closes in 2018 or later, and it's a consumer purpose loan, it would be reportable.

Return to Top
#2157254 - 12/14/17 03:30 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Thanks #12....i said that in my first post, but not the subsequent one.

Return to Top
#2157255 - 12/14/17 03:30 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
Working From Home Offline
Gold Star
Thanks. I thought it was not, but just wanted to be certain. And thanks for the reminder for next year's reporting.

Return to Top
#2157336 - 12/14/17 08:05 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Just to clarify - you called this a "refinance". You're not replacing a debt with a new debt. Therefore, it's not a refinancing as defined by any regulation. It's a home equity loan. That's why it is reported as "other" in 2018 and not reported in 201.

Return to Top
#2157378 - 12/14/17 11:51 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
But - - - in banker lingo it's considered a refinance. Try telling a commercial lender it's not a refi, at least in our neck of the woods. Too bad regulations don't always dovetail into local vernacular!

Return to Top
#2157393 - 12/15/17 01:47 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Moman
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By Moman
But - - - in banker lingo it's considered a refinance. Try telling a commercial lender it's not a refi, at least in our neck of the woods. Too bad regulations don't always dovetail into local vernacular!

I don't think this is just local lingo as I have seen this misconception many places. All lenders need to understand the definitions as using "lingo" (i.e. calling them something that doesn't align with an applicable regulation) will result in violations.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2157397 - 12/15/17 02:27 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Nope...it holds true all the way down here in the Swamp. smirk

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2157411 - 12/15/17 03:21 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Correct......"commercial lenders" = a different breed.

An equity cash out is a refinance to them.

An investment dwelling is "commercial real estate"

"Commercial" or "Business Purpose" loans are exempt from all regulations.

Return to Top
#2157417 - 12/15/17 03:47 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
My favorite: "That's why I'm a commercial lender; because the regulations don't apply to me."

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2157419 - 12/15/17 03:50 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By swiggles

An investment dwelling is "commercial real estate"

They all drive me crazy, but that one particularly.

Return to Top
#2157447 - 12/15/17 05:32 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I understand what the industry calls it and I run into this all of the time as I train bankers all around the country. My point is just because lenders use that term, doesn't mean that's what it is for the regulation and I didn't want anyone reading this to be confused. I was only trying to clarify that. We don't get to define terms. The regulators do.

Another example is a construction line of credit. It's a closed-end, multiple advance loan. That's not a line (open-end, revolving).

Return to Top
#2157482 - 12/15/17 08:02 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I preach proper terms every single change I get. Sadly, they don't ever make the transition. It would save so much back and forth questioning if they would just conform to my definitions, which are the ones that tell me the regulatory story smirk

ETA: I think we all got on a roll with it because the OP also new it wasn't an actual refinance so there wasn't any need for clarification...or at least there wasn't to me. I read the sarcasm/eye roll in the post smile
Last edited by RR Joker; 12/15/17 08:04 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2157484 - 12/15/17 08:06 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land Working From Home
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Yes, nearly every day i'll have a phone conversation like this:

Them: "I have a loan that is to purchase commercial RE."

Me: "What kind? A warehouse? Office building?"

Them: "No, a rent house."

Me: "Oh....then you have a home loan."

Them: "Yes, but it's business purpose."

Me: "I understand that....but that doesn't change the fact that it's a home."

Return to Top
#2157493 - 12/15/17 09:06 PM Re: Free and Clear Refi to Purchase Land raitchjay
NMB Offline
Gold Star
Southeast Michigan
At two former banks, I banned the word "commercial" from real estate descriptions. They had to use residential, retail, industrial, office building, etc..

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM