Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2157701 - 12/19/17 04:14 PM Primary Applicant Income
workerbee Offline
Underwriting is requesting on mortgages that if an application has 2 applicants and one applicant has no income they should not be primary and changing applicant positions. To me this could be discrimination since each applicant has equal responsibility. I am unable to find any FNMA guidelines stating income bearing applicants should be primary? Does this not set us up for discrimination?

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2157708 - 12/19/17 04:29 PM Re: Primary Applicant Income workerbee
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How do you have a primary applicant on a joint application? The order listed on the application or other documentation is meaningless.

Return to Top
#2157709 - 12/19/17 04:37 PM Re: Primary Applicant Income workerbee
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Randy - It should be meaningless, but I believe some secondary market automated underwriting systems actually approve more loans when the primary applicant is strong (at least they used to). I just think it is a bad idea to switch the primary applicant to work the AUS as a fair lending examiner would have a field day with a policy like this.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2157801 - 12/19/17 09:13 PM Re: Primary Applicant Income workerbee
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
I just think it is a bad idea to switch the primary applicant to work the AUS as a fair lending examiner would have a field day with a policy like this.

I agree. If my wife is listed first and I'm listed second, DON'T switch our names. You're opening a fair lending hornet's nest!

Return to Top
#2157818 - 12/19/17 09:38 PM Re: Primary Applicant Income workerbee
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
I agree to and have seen them indicate "gender bias", and looking more closely at male/female than gender/ethnicity.

Return to Top