Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2158809 - 12/29/17 09:32 PM Safe Deposit Box is the only relationship
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
In terms of SAR filing, if the subject of your SAR is someone who's only relationship with your bank is that they lease a safe deposit box, is that a customer? Or would it be something else? For SAR reporting would you list them as an "other" and Safe Deposit Box Leasee?

How bout in non-SAR related terms. Would you treat that safe deposit box leaser as a non customer? In my opinion, the do not have an account relationship with the bank and therefore are a non customer.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2158812 - 12/29/17 09:44 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box is the only relationship Bec
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
According to CIP, a safe deposit box is considered an account. I don't see how you could reasonably say that someone who leases a safe deposit box wouldn't be considered a customer.

https://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/OLM_011.htm

Pursuant to the CIP rule, an "account" is a formal banking relationship to provide or engage in services, dealings, or other financial transactions, and includes a deposit account, a transaction or asset account, a credit account, or another extension of credit. An account also includes a relationship established to provide a safe deposit box or other safekeeping services or to provide cash management, custodian, or trust services.

Return to Top
#2158814 - 12/29/17 09:50 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box is the only relationship Bec
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I agree they are customers. We do not permit this situation. All fees for SDB's must be debited from a DDA account at our bank. Saves me some grief.

Return to Top
#2158820 - 12/29/17 10:35 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box is the only relationship Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Thank you for the information. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that its not a transaction account therefore not an account. But I think your reasoning has definitely set my head straight. In my opinion, we should not permit this either.

Return to Top
#2158829 - 12/30/17 10:53 AM Re: Safe Deposit Box is the only relationship Daisy Doodle
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No thinking required: The language Justin provided isn't in quotes, but it's taken from the CIP regulation; a safe deposit box is an "account."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z