Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2158687 - 12/28/17 10:16 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
MBTCompliance Offline
Gold Star
Service Learning/work-based learning program as a senior in high school. Worked 1.5 hours a day filing and eventually teller. Manager asked me to work part-time that summer, and I worked at two different banks through college. Hired at another bank for my first full-time job after graduating and been here 10 years. Teller, bookkeeping, loan ops, loan officer, and now compliance.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2158688 - 12/28/17 10:23 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? MBTCompliance
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Graduated from college and did temp jobs while looking for something permanent. Got a temp job at this CU and they kept me on until there was an opening in the collection department. Was hired permanently in January and moved around to various departments before landing in internal auditing and then compliance. Next month will be 31 years here eek

Return to Top
#2158842 - 01/02/18 02:24 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Bombed my CIA interview so decided I'd better interview with some more government agencies to practice (International Business & French major.) Interviewed with the FDIC next, got hired on the spot. Started 2 months after college graduation.

Return to Top
#2158851 - 01/02/18 03:12 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Q Offline
Was going to school for accounting and decided to get a job at a bank as it would go with major. Worked as teller for 4 1/2 years, graduated but wasn't overly interested in pursuing field. Got promoted to Loan Processing which I worked for a couple of years, did a quick stint in collections before BSA Officer brought me over and have been in BSA 8 years next month.

Return to Top
#2158855 - 01/02/18 03:22 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I job shadowed a local bank for my high school accounting class. I was able to go to all departments that day and found it interesting. I worked as a teller during the summer between college semesters. They hired full time once I graduated and since have moved to compliance/risk. Still happy after 12 years.

Return to Top
#2158863 - 01/02/18 03:43 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
In order to early admit my son to kindergarten, he had to go to daycare first so I took a lunch shift teller replacement job to pay for daycare. From there worked at title companies and real estate attorneys offices and finally supervised mortgage doc review for CUNA before leaving the field for five years. A friend asked me to be an LTE for her to scrub HMDA and 15 years later next month, I've been here doing compliance since.

Return to Top
#2158873 - 01/02/18 04:18 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
As a recently graduated philosophy major in the early 80s, the job situation was pretty bleak. I was doing temp work and placed at a bank counting food stamps and doing simple ops research (roll the microfiche!). After about 5 months they hired me. Then I got into their management training program. Shortly after that, they "made me an offer I couldn't refuse" to become the first full-time compliance officer. Thirty years later, I'm still in banking. There've been decent years and not so great years, but where I am now is the best ever!

Return to Top
#2158875 - 01/02/18 04:19 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I used to think it was fate. Now I'm convinced I'm simply cursed.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2158892 - 01/02/18 05:15 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I was tired of working at Penney's Catalog department part time. Wanted a full time job so I could move out and support myself! Our pastor's wife was a head teller at the bank and looking for new teller. I got the job..... and stayed!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2158922 - 01/02/18 07:54 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Banking is in my family so when BofA was hiring a Mortgage Loan Asst and offered to pay for college, I was in. I didn't want to be a banker when I was a kid but here I am 19 years later.

Return to Top
#2158923 - 01/02/18 07:54 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? RR Joker
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By RR Joker
I used to think it was fate. Now I'm convinced I'm simply cursed.
LOL!!

Return to Top
#2158932 - 01/02/18 08:41 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
I was a teller in college, classified as full-time temporary at my local small town bank. Near graduation I approached the bank president and asked about becoming a permanent full-time employee. He said he could not afford what I asked ($15,000) per year in the mid-90s. I left banking for about 3 years, went back in a call center for Wells Fargo for 2 years then got a job at the FRB in Minneapolis. After 5 years there I became a bank examiner in regulatory compliance and have not looked back.

Return to Top
#2158943 - 01/02/18 09:48 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
The bank in the small town I was living in was looking for a teller/check filer/statement preparer and the timing was right as my youngest was starting kindergarten. Compliance was placed on my desk while I was on vacation 5 years later - not joking! 20+ years later and I'm still in compliance, although at a different bank. smile

Return to Top
#2158946 - 01/02/18 09:54 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
OldeTymeBanker Offline
I was 21 in 1979 and was working two part time jobs. One was telemarketing in the evenings for an insurance agent. He eventually told me that although I was doing a great job he could no longer afford to pay me. However, he went to his bank and told him that if they had any openings they should hire me, and they did. A full time job with benefits and I didn't have to wear a uniform? I was on board with that. The economy was poor and I was happy to have a good job, even if it didn't pay much more than the grocery store across the parking lot. I didn't think then that it would become my life's work, but life is funny that way. And I use this example as to why you should try to do the best job you can even when you don't like the work: I didn't enjoy the telemarketing, but I still tried to be the best I could at it, and it paid off in an unexpected way.

Return to Top
#2158952 - 01/02/18 10:03 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Purple Pride
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By Purple Pride
I was a teller in college, classified as full-time temporary at my local small town bank. Near graduation I approached the bank president and asked about becoming a permanent full-time employee. He said he could not afford what I asked ($15,000) per year in the mid-90s. I left banking for about 3 years, went back in a call center for Wells Fargo for 2 years then got a job at the FRB in Minneapolis. After 5 years there I became a bank examiner in regulatory compliance and have not looked back.

I know it takes time but you break that $15k mark yet PP? grin

Return to Top
#2158977 - 01/03/18 12:38 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? HRH Okie Banker
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
Originally Posted By Purple Pride

I know it takes time but you break that $15k mark yet PP? grin

Just barely. smile

Return to Top
#2159024 - 01/03/18 04:28 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
Father was in banking, so I studied and majored in finance in college, working part-time in retail. Graduated and went to work full-time for the same retail store chain, until I was informed that I would not advance any further due to circumstances beyond my control. Obtained a job at a bank, which I should have done to begin with right out of school as planned. That was March 1978, almost 40 years ago. Time to plan a party. BTW I have a brother in banking as well.

Return to Top
#2159026 - 01/03/18 04:44 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By Truffle Royale
[quote=Purple Pride] After 5 years there I became a bank examiner in regulatory compliance and have not looked back.

Wait...WHAT???!!!! You're an examiner??!! We've been treating you like one of us and you're one of THEM?! shocked eek whistle

Return to Top
#2159029 - 01/03/18 04:53 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
MelW Offline
New Poster
Applied for a position in Bookkeeping in 2004 and didn't hear from the bank until a year later. I was getting married around the same time and working as a server, so I decided it was time for a more stable income (after first turning down an interview....what was I thinking?). Stayed at that bank for almost 12 years through 2 mergers and many position changes (teller, office manager, CSR, BSA). Back to operations at a different bank now, with my boss from bookkeeping, and I'm in my happy place. smile

Return to Top
#2159030 - 01/03/18 04:55 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Truffle Royale
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
[quote=Purple Pride] After 5 years there I became a bank examiner in regulatory compliance and have not looked back.

Wait...WHAT???!!!! You're an examiner??!! We've been treating you like one of us and you're one of THEM?! shocked eek whistle

It's okay. I left the examiner world for a bank (as a compliance auditor) in 2009. And in September I left the audit world for a position in the 2nd line of defense (working with compliance controls). I am only a recovering examiner now. smile

Return to Top
#2159033 - 01/03/18 05:14 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I was tired of the hours in the retail world so I told my husband "I'm getting a job in a bank!"

And 30 years has gone by like that.

Return to Top
#2159034 - 01/03/18 05:17 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I was playing in a band and waiting tables part time. To impress a girl, I decided to get a "real job" and landed one as a mortgage processor. Apparently, that did the trick as my compliance profession somehow seems to still impress that girl (now wife). smile

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2159058 - 01/03/18 07:41 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Mayhem71 Offline
New Poster
I started as a high school co-op working the drive-thru window at the local bank. 28 1/2 years later, I'm still working at the same financial institution, albeit it is far more larger that it was in 1989.

Return to Top
#2159086 - 01/03/18 09:20 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I got in because of the lure of chicks, cheap booze and free smokes

Return to Top
#2159117 - 01/03/18 10:22 PM Re: What made you get in to Banking? Harambe
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Always swore I'd never work in a bank. After college I started out appraising real estate, but that wasn't a good thing to be depending on in the late 80's! I started looking for any job I could get - and found one in auditing for a multi-bank holding company. I've been in banking ever since.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3