Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#215902 - 07/26/04 09:02 PM Mini i Pod
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I am thinking of getting a Mini i Pod for digital photo storage.
1) Is this a good idea?
2) How do I do it?
3) Where do I buy it?

This will be used only until I can get the stuff dumped and / or burned. It would be instead of purchasing a lot of SD cards for my 4 meg camera.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#215903 - 07/26/04 09:14 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Are you planning on trying to dump pictures straight from you camera to the IPod?

Return to Top
#215904 - 07/26/04 09:18 PM Re: Mini i Pod
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I'm not sure this can be done. Reading info on best buy's website it does not mention the ability to down load photos.

Return to Top
#215905 - 07/26/04 09:36 PM Re: Mini i Pod
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Omega,

I don't know if the I Pod will work for you but they do make gadgets similar to the I Pod specifically for storing photos and they have a lot more than 4GB of storage. They are a good tool for storing photos but I prefer to burn straight to cd's. I see CD's as safer. The other storage devices are hard drives and if you drop it you may lose everything. The other item will burn straight to a cd with in minutes and you can make one or more copies. Something to consider.

Return to Top
#215906 - 07/26/04 09:50 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Omega,

I don't know if the I Pod will work for you but they do make gadgets similar to the I Pod specifically for storing photos and they have a lot more than 4GB of storage. They are a good tool for storing photos but I prefer to burn straight to cd's. I see CD's as safer. The other storage devices are hard drives and if you drop it you may lose everything. The other item will burn straight to a cd with in minutes and you can make one or more copies. Something to consider.

Hate to disagree but I recall reading that the iPod can download pics from your camera for storage. You can't view them or anything it's just a way to rid yourself of all the mc's. You may have to dl a program in order to do this (maybe not from apple though). I may be wrong, but I will look for a link and post it (if found).

Return to Top
#215907 - 07/26/04 09:52 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Quote:

Omega,

Hate to disagree but I recall reading that the iPod can download pics from your camera for storage. You can't view them or anything it's just a way to rid yourself of all the mc's. You may have to dl a program in order to do this (maybe not from apple though). I may be wrong, but I will look for a link and post it (if found).

Clicky

Return to Top
#215908 - 07/26/04 09:57 PM Re: Mini i Pod
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
You're not disagreeing. I never said that you can't do it. Just that I didn't see anything that said you could. One problem I see is that if you can't see if you downloaded the picture how do you know you got a full uncorrupted picture?

Return to Top
#215909 - 07/26/04 10:07 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

You're not disagreeing. I never said that you can't do it. Just that I didn't see anything that said you could. One problem I see is that if you can't see if you downloaded the picture how do you know you got a full uncorrupted picture?

No se?

Return to Top
#215910 - 07/27/04 01:35 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
From SD card to iPod via some sort of slot thingy. Popular Photo's forum presents more questions than answers. They don't seem to like the Belkin thing. Can't I just use the reader I have?

On closer look at the iPods, the iPod seems a much better choice than the mini iPod. (4gig vs 20 gig). How safe is it?

We are going on a 10 day trip to Italy at the end of November. I don't want to miss or loose an image!

Return to Top
#215911 - 07/27/04 01:49 PM Re: Mini i Pod
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
If you don't drop the I Pod then it "should" be safe. You always have risks especially when your storage device has moving parts.

Return to Top
#215912 - 07/27/04 02:08 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
I can just have a photo shop burn discs for me. I would be dead meat if I loose images. The idea of spending a couple of hundred on a SD when I would really enjoy an iPod started this line of thinking.

Return to Top
#215913 - 07/27/04 02:25 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
I have a 30g iPod and have had no problems whatsoever with it, And I use it alllll day long; at work, home, and in the car. I have given it some pretty good drops and have never lost a song, nor did a song even skip. It is a great tool for work and play, and I suggest if you do have a large music library, and do take many pictures that you may want to upgrade from the mini to the regular iPod. You will not be disappointed. BTW, what OS do you run on your computer?

Return to Top
#215914 - 07/27/04 03:06 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
After careful consideration, I think that the iPod makes more sense than the mini. If you can wear the mini on your arm, you should be able to do the same w/ the iPod.

How tough will it be to get someone to download the iPod onto disc for me in Rome, Florence, or Siena?

Return to Top
#215915 - 07/27/04 04:03 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

How tough will it be to get someone to download the iPod onto disc for me in Rome, Florence, or Siena?

Do you mean sending the pod to Rome (or while your there) and have someone take info from the pod and put it onto a disc?? I don't think I am understanding your question. But in any case it should not be to difficult. It took me about an 1 1/2 hours to put about 7,000 songs into pod (firewire) so I don't think it should take long to extract from pod to disc. I know of a forum where you can ask these questions, but it's saved in my fav's at home. I'll post the link once I get home

Return to Top
#215916 - 07/27/04 05:51 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Quote:

Do you mean sending the pod to Rome (or while your there) and have someone take info from the pod and put it onto a disc?? I don't think I am understanding your question. But in any case it should not be to difficult. It took me about an 1 1/2 hours to put about 7,000 songs into pod (firewire) so I don't think it should take long to extract from pod to disc. I know of a forum where you can ask these questions, but it's saved in my fav's at home. I'll post the link once I get home

While it would be cheaper to send the iPod, it don't think it would be as much fun. I may as well go along for the ride. I figured that if my kids could each load a few songs (and the old man's Vivaldi) and have room for pictures, it will prove to be very efficient space-wise. Two discman(s) (discmen?) will take up much more room. It should not be hard to find a spliter and there should be enough juice to drive two sets of headphones at a reasonable level.

I have not ruled out just buying a couple more SD's.

Return to Top
#215917 - 07/27/04 06:02 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
They do have a head phone splitter, also you can get an extra battery, a charger with various adapters so you can plug and charge there in Italy, and an FM transmitter for the car ride (if there will be one). I believe you can purchase all of these at Best Buy.

Return to Top
#215918 - 07/27/04 06:14 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Poopzilla Offline
Poopzilla
varies... tha world!
The next gen iPods (spring next year)will have photo viewing ability (small screen) and other cool features. I think I was watching The Screen Savers when I heard about it. Just my two bits.

Return to Top
#215919 - 07/27/04 06:24 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Internet Cafes are popular in Europe, so you shouldn't have too many problems finding a place to take care of your needs. IPods connect via USB (a square, flat connector) or Firewire (more square in shape); however you might not find Firewire ports on all computers, so you'll probably be using USB a lot.

Connect your IPod to the computer via USB. (If the computer is running 2K or XP (chances are, they will) it will auto detect the IPod (probably as a "USB Mass Storage Device").

With the IPod connected, you can create / burn a CD using the software on the computer. I can't give you specific instructions on how to do this, due to the different types of CD Burning software out there. Most computers have Roxio, but you never know.

PM me if you have any additional questions.

Return to Top
#215920 - 07/27/04 07:01 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I know there is a lot of "meat" between the original post and this reply, but FWIW here are some options from a CNET review and the iPod wasn't the highest ranked, YMMV.

For the money, I'd go with an iPod and not the mini, and recommended one reason on my 7/15 post. In fact, I just bought my son an iPod and this is part of the reason.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#215921 - 07/27/04 08:36 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
From what I have learned, punt the mini, the iPod is a great storage device IF you also want to take tunes along, there is no way to verify that the files have been transfered to the iPod (THAT makes me nervous) but there is a light on the Belkin thing. So I am up to $299 for the 20gig iPod, and andother $110 for the Belkin. That means I am up to $409 before I get "accessorized". Ouch.

Do I have to use the Belkin thing?

I really wanted a 120 twin lens.

Return to Top
#215922 - 07/28/04 12:45 AM Re: Mini i Pod
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Personally, I go from memory card to laptop and burn a CD on that if need be.

The only time I ever got a virus it was on my laptop, on the road and it zapped GIF and JPG files.

You could contact a photography shop that rents equipment and see if you can rent a HD to archive pics temporarily.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#215923 - 08/03/04 02:52 AM Re: Mini i Pod
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net

Return to Top
#215924 - 08/03/04 05:43 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes you can put photos on an i pod

Return to Top
#215925 - 08/03/04 05:48 PM Re: Mini i Pod
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

yes you can put photos on an i pod

I see that now. I still don't think I would however. The events I photograph are very important and I don't want to leave it to chance on the i pod. I down load to my laptop and then immediately burn it to a cd before erasing my compact flash card. I can get about 72 photos per cd so, yes it take a lot of cd. Oh well at least they are cheap.

Return to Top
#215926 - 08/03/04 05:52 PM Re: Mini i Pod
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Do you shoot only in RAW form?

(This may prompt some responses if you don't know what I mean. And I don't mean what you don't see under Nikko's blanket as his avatar is taking pics. )

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2