Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2159345 - 01/05/18 02:39 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Was it as devastating in terms of snow and ice as the forecast presented?

no

CAMS

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2159350 - 01/05/18 02:57 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I think we have too much news. #LessNews

Make News Great Again #MNGA

CRCM

Return to Top
#2159396 - 01/05/18 05:31 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
In my part of MA we got at least a foot of snow, I had to eventually stop looking outside. laugh The winds were ridiculous all day and night and even this morning. Plow didn't come by until after I was in bed last night and I didn't have time to shovel or snow blow before leaving work and with temps predicted to be -25 this weekend I guess I can forget about it because I will have icebergs in my yard at that point.

Return to Top
#2159426 - 01/05/18 07:32 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
All this talk about winter weather makes a big portion of the country look like a bunch of ninnies.Yes, when it gets below freezing water does freeze and become slippery. Snow can also be slippery and at times very heavy. This is all a normal part of life and I think we were all taught these principles in elementary school.

End of rant

Return to Top
#2159432 - 01/05/18 08:05 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
Tracey, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Gorham, ME
I live in Southern Maine, and we got 14 inches of snow yesterday, and it started snowing again about an hour ago. Its currently 7 degrees. To us, that is not a lot of snow. We were still driving in it yesterday when the office closed, and by this morning the roads were pretty clear. We shovel a walkway for the dog and the oil man, and are all set.

Return to Top
#2159435 - 01/05/18 08:13 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
what I can't figure out is all these people in the northeast part of the country, who get cold weather and snow every year...suddenly the news is freaking, so they're freaking, about something that occurs annually...

that would be like someone in my area panicking because it was 95 degrees with 100% humidity in the middle of the summer...

Return to Top
#2159436 - 01/05/18 08:22 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
Tracey, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Gorham, ME
I am with you Happy- people freak out, the grocery stores are packed and run out of things, I don't get it and I live in Maine!

Return to Top
#2159440 - 01/05/18 08:26 PM Re: Cold you say? HappyGilmore
Dog Lady Offline
Happy - you may have stubbed your toe a bunch of times in your life, perhaps even on the same door jamb... But it still bites when it happens. 95 degree humid weather will not kill you (or harm you) nearly as quickly as weather below 0.

BUT We live here because we secretly like the cold and snow, and we even like to whine about it. wink The swings are what get people more than the weather at a point in time. If it's 40 degrees in the late fall, we're all bundled up. But at 40 degrees in the spring, many of us are in shorts and T shirts.

Return to Top
#2159442 - 01/05/18 08:34 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Meanwhile, down here in the swamp...some snow remains on northern facing rooftops and on the fallen trees in the swamp and a few cars in used car lots.

We had around 100 wrecks on Wednesday due to ice on the roadways [due to excessive speed they say] and parts of I75 were shut down for awhile due to conditions.

I do not like winter...and no...we aren't well prepared for it in the deep south. What I hate the most is breaking ice in water tanks each and every day, often twice. cry

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2159443 - 01/05/18 08:36 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
and to add insult to injury...I have killed two skeeters during all or this...the NERVE!

Return to Top
#2159463 - 01/05/18 09:39 PM Re: Cold you say? RR Joker
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By RR Joker

I do not like winter...and no...we aren't well prepared for it in the deep south. What I hate the most is breaking ice in water tanks each and every day, often twice. cry

This!! Yesterday was the first day I didn't have to break ice for the horses and llamas.

Return to Top
#2159464 - 01/05/18 09:41 PM Re: Cold you say? Dog Lady
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By Dog Lady
95 degree humid weather will not kill you (or harm you) nearly as quickly as weather below 0.

not too sure about that...I believe more people die from heat related issues every summer than do from cold related issues every winter. Everyone knows not to go outside when its cold unless you are dressed properly. Too many don't heed that same advice about acclimating to heat.

but, i'll take my hot humid summers over your cold snowy winters any day!

Return to Top
#2159536 - 01/08/18 01:34 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
So even after all these years I'm still learning new things about the cold. This weekend it barely got into positive numbers, and my car told me that I needed more air in my tire(s). Three gas stations straight had "out of order" signs on their air pumps, and the only station with indoor facilities was closed. This morning I went to that station at about 7:30. The owner couldn't help me because the air compressor wasn't turned on yet, but he said he's probably gotten 50 calls in the past two weeks about low tire pressure. He said that you shouldn't try to add air when it's this cold because when you put the pump on, and it initially releases air from the tires, the air will freeze. You still won't be able to put air in, and you'll end up with a flat tire. Hopefully temperatures will go up before my tires go completely flat!

Return to Top
#2159537 - 01/08/18 01:55 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good to know, DEL.

Return to Top
#2159538 - 01/08/18 02:38 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not sure why it would freeze unless you have water inside your tires. Just make sure to check them again when it warms up or if you plan to drive a longer distance - when the weather gets warm or the tires heat up from driving, it is going to have the opposite effect. You get about a 1 psi increase or decrease for every 10 degrees.

Return to Top
#2159541 - 01/08/18 02:49 PM Re: Cold you say? Retired DQ
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Actually, air doesn't freeze. Well, it does, but at temperatures that we're not likely to encounter. I live in North Central Minnesota and had to put air in my tires last week. I think it was -27 that day.

Return to Top
#2159543 - 01/08/18 03:23 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Good feedback. If you haven't heard about this living in Minnesota, it shouldn't be a problem in Maine! Fortunately, the temperature is in the double digits today, so there shouldn't be a problem anyway. Now I just have to find an air pump that isn't out of order!

Return to Top
#2159545 - 01/08/18 03:41 PM Re: Cold you say? DEL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By DEL
Good feedback. If you haven't heard about this living in Minnesota, it shouldn't be a problem in Maine! Fortunately, the temperature is in the double digits today, so there shouldn't be a problem anyway. Now I just have to find an air pump that isn't out of order!

probably worth the $30 investment to buy one that runs from your car battery via cigarette lighter for older cars or clips to battery post, from a wall socket, or even with a rechargeable battery. Any auto parts store will have them. then you are not dependent on anyone but yourself.

Return to Top
#2159565 - 01/08/18 04:55 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
<<<---- cannot function without my own compressor.

Return to Top
#2159568 - 01/08/18 04:59 PM Re: Cold you say? RR Joker
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Originally Posted By RR Joker
<<<---- cannot function without my own compressor.

agree, my compressor recently bit the dust. I didn't realize how much I use mine until I didn't have one for a couple of days.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2159569 - 01/08/18 05:04 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My big one did, DoS...that's when I realized I would soon be in shock and had to buy a temp replacement for it! shocked

Return to Top
#2159578 - 01/08/18 05:34 PM Re: Cold you say? HappyGilmore
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Not true for everyone so don't generalize us North Easterners please. smile

Return to Top
#2159642 - 01/08/18 09:55 PM Re: Cold you say? P*Q
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By P*Q
Not true for everyone so don't generalize us North Easterners please. smile

Thank you PQ.

I blame the Weather Channel for hyping up typical winter weather, although I will say the frigid temps are not the norm. Who decided to name every freaking system that leads to snow? Ridiculous.

Return to Top
#2159663 - 01/09/18 12:43 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
^^^
This!
I just said to my husband last weekend, how ridiculous that we are now naming snow storms...remember "Stella"
I've live in the NE my entire life and laugh when the nightly news comes on and the headline is "45 million people in the storm path"
It's winter folks, and those of us that live here survive it every year!

Return to Top
#2159691 - 01/09/18 02:21 PM Re: Cold you say? MB Guy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
if it were a "The Day After Tomorrow" type of storm, then I could see naming it

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3