Topic Options
#2153694 - 11/15/17 12:35 PM Gift to president for Bosses Day
Patricia Offline
Gold Star

Loc: Kansas
Just wondering if anyone gives the president of the bank a gift on Bosses Day, Christmas etc. We were just told that a gift was purchased and were told what our share of the cost would be. I personally don't think buying a gift for the president is necessary or appropriate.

I think this subject has been discussed here before but could not find anything using the Search engine.

Human Resources
#2153696 - 11/15/17 12:39 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
P*Q Offline

Power Poster

Loc: By the ocean
Nope. I send my boss an e-mail sending her boss' day wishes and thank her for her support each year but that's it. And no, she's not the President but high up in the company.

#2153701 - 11/15/17 12:44 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster

Loc: The Country
Lol! That is funny Patricia! I have never heard of a bank doing something like that. Sounds like there may be an uber brown-noser who bought the gift and now wants everyone else to help chip in although they will take most of the credit for the gift.

#2153728 - 11/15/17 02:44 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: RockChucker, CAMS]
Compliance Rookie Offline
New Poster

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By RockChucker, CAMS
Sounds like there may be an uber brown-noser who bought the gift and now wants everyone else to help chip in although they will take most of the credit for the gift.

I agree with RockChucker, it takes an astounding level of audacity to make a unilateral group decision seemingly without consulting those involved and then turn right around and start demanding people help pay for it. Personally, I enjoy donating to the different drives and causes that circulate around the office, especially near the holidays. But if someone tried to do that here, I would let them know what to do with that gift, if you catch my meaning...

#2153774 - 11/15/17 04:15 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Loc: Pulling people out of the ditc...
just tell them you are a Jehovah's Witness and therefore do not recognize bosses day...problem solved

#2156462 - 12/07/17 12:20 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster

Loc: Midwest
We used to purchase a gift for our President for Christmas. It was never required that you give $ as the card was signed from all employees and never just listed who gave towards the purchase. We have not done this in the last 5 years. Also, we used to always received bonuses, it was a given, not tied to anything just a Christmas present. Now they are tied to certain criteria and performance.

#2156563 - 12/08/17 08:50 AM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
Ken_Pegasus Offline

10K Club

Loc: Another trip around the sun
If participation is voluntary and unrecorded, then it's a gift. If you were not asked and just get a bill, verbal or written, it's extortion. Seriously annoying....

As a boss, I would make it plain there were not going to be any "gifts."

#2156594 - 12/08/17 11:35 AM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club

Loc: Cleveland, TN
I can't imagine what you would purchase for the bank president. I'm sure it is awkward for him/her to receive the present as well. Email or even group card with everyone's signature would have been more than enough. I personally don't like gifting in the workplace.

#2156743 - 12/11/17 09:48 AM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster

Loc: New York City
I have to agree with Ken on this. My team is about 30+ people and one year they got me a fairly expensive bottle of scotch. I felt bad they spent that much money and then I had to report as it exceeded the value in our Code of Conduct. It was made very clear that this could not happen again.

#2159363 - 01/05/18 10:28 AM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster

Loc: TEXAS
I get my boss the same thing every year for Christmas and Bosses day.
Nothing.

#2159612 - 01/08/18 02:36 PM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Loc: Pulling people out of the ditc...
I send an email to my team every year around Thanksgiving, telling them that they have better things to spend money on than me, and while the gesture is appreciated, I would much prefer they put whatever they were going to spend on me towards toys for tots or some other Christmas related charity.

#2160871 - 01/18/18 10:10 AM Re: Gift to president for Bosses Day [Re: Patricia]
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster

Loc: Oklahoma
My team, for the last two years, chose to put our money to adopting Angels from Salvation Army's Angel Tree rather than exchange gifts with each other.

Moderator:  Andy Z, Gayla Sherry