Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2132968 - 06/02/17 06:48 PM Have a ITIN but decision power came back with SSN
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
A customer came in to open an account. He gave us his tax id number card which is ITIN. However, when we pulled the decision power with using his ITIN, it said that there is a SSN associated with that person. He said that to his knowledge, he has never been issued a SSN and that he has been filing his tax returns with his ITIN. Is this normal? If so, do we use the ITIN for the account?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2132972 - 06/02/17 06:57 PM Re: Have a ITIN but decision power came back with SSN peony
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
I am only speculating, but chances are the social security number was used to obtain employment. The IRS came up with ITINs so that illegal immigrants could still file tax returns but not do so using the stolen social security number.

From a CIP perspective you have a substantial descepency that you must resolve by following your procedures.

Return to Top
#2160336 - 01/12/18 04:49 PM Re: Have a ITIN but decision power came back with SSN peony
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
I have a question that is somewhat related. Does the IRS issue an ITIN card or do they just issue a number?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#2160381 - 01/12/18 08:10 PM Re: Have a ITIN but decision power came back with SSN *W*W*
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No card, just a letter.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett