Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2161338 - 01/22/18 08:13 PM Privacy Issue?
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
We received a subpoena from a govt agency for our customer, Joe Smith, who has account #123. When deposit ops was preparing records to send they inadvertently provided some checks that were unrelated to Joe Smith or the subpoena. They searched for account #123 and along with Joe Smith's items there were also a couple of checks written by Bob Brown drawn off another bank (but had account #123 at that bank) and was deposited into Business Customer, LLC's and Jane Doe's acct at my bank.

We only provided copies of the checks. Nothing else from these unrelated items. Do we have an issue?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2161429 - 01/23/18 10:33 AM Re: Privacy Issue? Red Raiders
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If Bob Brown finds out? Sure, you have an issue.

However, as I understand it, Bob Brown is not your customer and I know of no law that would be violated by disclosing information on a non customer. You would just have a really ticked off individual who wanted to talk about how sloppy your bank is while he struggles to establish some right to financial privacy and prove that the disclosure damaged him in some form or fashion.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett