Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2161790 - 01/25/18 01:46 PM Reg Z vs. Reg G conflict - what's the answer?
Rollerman Offline
100 Club
The initial question asked was, “are we required to put the NMLS Unique Identifier of the institution and that of the MLO on Home Equity Line of Credit disclosures?”. My initial response was “yes” given that Regulation G’s §1007.102 includes HELOCs in the definition of “residential mortgage” to which the SAFE Act is applicable (including the unique identifier, or so I believed). The Mortgage Department Manager, citing Regulation Z §1026.36(b), which appears to indicate that §1026.36(g) isn’t applicable to HELOCs, told me he thought I was incorrect and we are not required to put the unique identifier on the HELOC disclosures under §1026.36(g). I’m not sure how to reconcile Reg G with Reg Z here and answer the original question correctly. I’m hoping the experts here can shed some light and thank you in advance.

I’ve included citations below for easy reference:

§1007.102:
Residential mortgage loan means any loan primarily for personal, family, or household use that is secured by a mortgage, deed of trust, or other equivalent consensual security interest on a dwelling (as defined in section 103(v) of the Truth in Lending Act, 15 U.S.C. 1602(v)) or residential real estate upon which is constructed or intended to be constructed a dwelling, and includes refinancings, reverse mortgages, home equity lines of credit and other first and additional lien loans that meet the qualifications listed in this definition. This definition does not amend or supersede 12 CFR 613.3030(c) with respect to Farm Credit System institutions.

§1026.36(b):
(b) Scope. Paragraphs (c)(1) and (c)(2) of this section apply to closed-end consumer credit transactions secured by a consumer's principal dwelling. Paragraph (c)(3) of this section applies to a consumer credit transaction secured by a dwelling. Paragraphs (d) through (i) of this section apply to closed-end consumer credit transactions secured by a dwelling. This section does not apply to a home equity line of credit subject to § 1026.40, except that paragraphs (h) and (i) of this section apply to such credit when secured by the consumer's principal dwelling and paragraph (c)(3) applies to such credit when secured by a dwelling. Paragraphs (d) through (i) of this section do not apply to a loan that is secured by a consumer's interest in a timeshare plan described in 11 U.S.C. 101(53D).

§1026.36(g):
(g) Name and NMLSR ID on loan documents. (1) For a consumer credit transaction secured by a dwelling, a loan originator organization must include on the loan documents described in paragraph (g)(2) of this section, whenever each such loan document is provided to a consumer or presented to a consumer for signature, as applicable:
(i) Its name and NMLSR ID, if the NMLSR has provided it an NMLSR ID; and
(ii) The name of the individual loan originator (as the name appears in the NMLSR) with primary responsibility for the origination and, if the NMLSR has provided such person an NMLSR ID, that NMLSR ID.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2161794 - 01/25/18 01:55 PM Re: Reg Z vs. Reg G conflict - what's the answer? Rollerman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is not require to be on HELOC documents under Regulation Z due to the citations that you provided.

So you are only left with the Regulation G requirements - which do not include placing the NMLS#s on HELOC notes or disclosures:

Part 1007.105 Use of unique identifier.

(b) A registered mortgage loan originator shall provide his or her unique identifier to a consumer:

(1) Upon request;

(2) Before acting as a mortgage loan originator; and

(3) Through the originator's initial written communication with a consumer, if any, whether on paper or electronically.

Return to Top
#2161796 - 01/25/18 01:59 PM Re: Reg Z vs. Reg G conflict - what's the answer? Rollerman
Rollerman Offline
100 Club
So is that to say it is required on "early disclosures" then?

Return to Top
#2161799 - 01/25/18 02:06 PM Re: Reg Z vs. Reg G conflict - what's the answer? Rollerman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No - it is simply not required to be place on any HELOC documentation other than providing the number to the customer on the first written communication. How you accomplish that is really a bank policy issue.

Return to Top
#2161802 - 01/25/18 02:08 PM Re: Reg Z vs. Reg G conflict - what's the answer? Rollerman
Adam F Offline
Gold Star
Adam F
VA
Do you mortgage loan officers have their NMLS numbers on their business cards?

That's how we handle this requirement.

The answers I give are my opinions. Not legal advice.

Return to Top
#2161803 - 01/25/18 02:09 PM Re: Reg Z vs. Reg G conflict - what's the answer? Rollerman
Rollerman Offline
100 Club
Yes they do. We also have a cover letter including it that goes out with early disclosures. I assume that would suffice then?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z