Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2161884 - 01/25/18 06:25 PM Construction loan not going perm
Winning Offline
Would a construction loan that is being paid off by the sale of another home be HMDA reportable? It is a true construction draw down line of credit for 12 months. It just will not go perm at a later date. If it is reportable, how would we report it? "Other" for purpose...??

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2161889 - 01/25/18 06:45 PM Re: Construction loan not going perm Winning
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2161326/5

Based on the conversations in the above thread and the response from the CFPB the loan would not meet the definition of temporary financing therefore it would not be exempt from reporting.

This would be a short term construction/permanent loan and reported as a purchase IMO.

Return to Top
#2161893 - 01/25/18 06:47 PM Re: Construction loan not going perm Winning
Adam F Offline
Gold Star
Adam F
VA
I agree with Dan unless the loan purpose is to construct a spec house. Below is from the commentary of Regulation C.

3. Construction and permanent financing. A home purchase loan includes both a combined construction/permanent loan or line of credit, and the separate permanent financing that replaces a construction-only loan or line of credit for the same borrower at a later time. A home purchase loan does not include a construction-only loan or line of credit that is designed to be replaced by separate permanent financing extended by any financial institution to the same borrower at a later time or that is extended to a person exclusively to construct a dwelling for sale, which are excluded from Regulation C as temporary financing under § 1003.3(c)(3). Comments 3(c)(3)-1 and -2 provide additional details about transactions that are excluded as temporary financing.
Last edited by NSF, CRCM; 01/25/18 06:49 PM.

The answers I give are my opinions. Not legal advice.

Return to Top
#2161926 - 01/25/18 09:06 PM Re: Construction loan not going perm Winning
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Agree with both.

Construction only loans/lines ARE reported as a purchase.
If the same is made to a builder, it is exempt.

Return to Top