Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2162748 - 02/01/18 05:32 PM Online Application - Incomplete or Denied?
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
With regard to consumer purpose, non-RE loan applications (e.g. consumer purpose loan secured by vehicle), applicant completes our application online, however he/she doesn't provide all the necessary information for us to make a credit decision. We generally call the applicant back regarding the lacking information, and in some situations we hear nothing back from the applicant. In these situations, should we instead be notifying the customer with a notice of incompleteness with a request to provide the missing information by a specific date? Or do we just turn the loan down (deny) for incompleteness? How do others handle this? And if we simple call them and ask them to call us back (in other words we don't specify what additional information we need, does this make a difference) on whether we can consider the loan incomplete or not? Thanks for any feedback.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2162751 - 02/01/18 05:38 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By TeamComply
In these situations, should we instead be notifying the customer with a notice of incompleteness with a request to provide the missing information by a specific date? Or do we just turn the loan down (deny) for incompleteness?
Either of these two options are permissible and you will find that some banks take one approach while other banks take the other approach.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2162755 - 02/01/18 05:54 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? Adam Witmer
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
Ok, do we need to be consistent with our approach? And if we tell them we need the missing information by such and such date, how long do most banks give?

Return to Top
#2162771 - 02/01/18 06:42 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
When we call these applicants, we typically leave a very broad message, basically just asking the applicant to call _____ (loan officer's name) in regard to your online application. We don't provide any specifics about the additional information needed. So how we proceed is entirely up to us, when they don't reply? Either send AAN to deny for incompleteness or send Notice of Incompleteness requesting for the additional information?

Return to Top
#2162876 - 02/02/18 02:09 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Ok, do we need to be consistent with our approach?
No, you don't have to be consistent, but that could be confusing for staff unless they really understand the rules.

And if we tell them we need the missing information by such and such date, how long do most banks give?
To clarify, you have to "tell them" in writing, in accordance with the requirements set forth in Regulation B. From my experience, most banks give 30 or 60 days.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2162877 - 02/02/18 02:11 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
When we call these applicants, we typically leave a very broad message, basically just asking the applicant to call _____ (loan officer's name) in regard to your online application. We don't provide any specifics about the additional information needed. So how we proceed is entirely up to us, when they don't reply? Either send AAN to deny for incompleteness or send Notice of Incompleteness requesting for the additional information?
Yes, as long as you do it within the time frames set forth in Regulation B.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2163025 - 02/02/18 09:13 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Why does your system allow incomplete applications to be submitted, or is that that the applicant puts in incomplete information?

https://www.bankersonline.com/regulations/12-1002-009

Look at 9(a) 3&4 and 9(c) as to incomplete applications.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2163026 - 02/02/18 09:17 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, it might depend on whether or not the application is subject to TRID. You get the six pieces of information, you cannot force them to not submit the application pending entry of additional information. Other loans, you can require whatever you want before they are allowed to submit the application.

Return to Top
#2163091 - 02/05/18 02:49 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? rlcarey
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
My initial post states for consumer purpose, non RRE loan requests, so no, these online applications are not subject to TRID.

Return to Top
#2163093 - 02/05/18 02:52 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? Andy_Z
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks Andy. So we are looking to send a notice very similar to Form C-6 - Sample Notice of Incomplete Application and Request for Additional Information. If we have pulled a credit report on this applicant, then are we also required to provide the credit bureau information under FCRA? Or is this information not required to be disclosed to the application on an application with incomplete information? Thanks.

Return to Top
#2163096 - 02/05/18 03:02 PM Re: Online Application - Incomplete or Denied? TeamComply
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
If you are just sending the notice of incomplete application (according to Reg B), then the FCRA information is not required on that notice. On the other hand, if you were denying for an incomplete application, you would provide the FCRA info on the AA notice.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z