#2179463 - 05/23/18 08:12 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) RR Joker
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By RR Joker
Well, that will likely be my next click to download smile

Thanks!

ETA: Well, let me retract that...I apparently have missed the two BEFORE that one! shocked! And it also appears I missed one WAY back in the series as well. Oops!

You definitely have to go back and read those before you start Dark Queen!! In fact, I went back myself and checked that I hadn't missed one because there's stuff referenced in Dark Queen that I didn't remember from the prior book. It may also be worth reading the short stories if you haven't already, I think there's at least one reference to something from one of those.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2179551 - 05/24/18 01:29 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I think I've read the shorts. But it's been quite awhile since I've read a Jane book in general, references may not click with me anyway. shocked I will definitely be reading the two before first though...I didn't mean to miss the one early on. Maybe it's just time for a re-read!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2179565 - 05/24/18 02:20 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
There you go!!

Return to Top
#2179566 - 05/24/18 02:21 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Joker, have you read her Soulwood series? Tangential to Jane but I like them even better. There's only 3 so far, hopefully there will be many more.

Return to Top
#2179587 - 05/24/18 03:36 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
There's references in Dark Queen to some of the things happening with Rick and Soul in the Soulwood books, too.

Return to Top
#2179594 - 05/24/18 03:46 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) E.E.G.B
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By E.E.G.B
Joker, have you read her Soulwood series? Tangential to Jane but I like them even better. There's only 3 so far, hopefully there will be many more.

Yes, I have, but appears only 2 of them. Blood of the Earth and Curse on the Land

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2182112 - 06/18/18 05:22 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Happy -- I was wondering if you were watching Safe on Netflix? It was written by Harlan Coben though it is not a Myron Bolitar series show. I'm 3 episodes in so far and am really enjoying it.

Return to Top
#2182206 - 06/18/18 10:46 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Just started High Dive by Jonathan Lee. I picked this up in a cute bookstore in downtown St. Paul, and the only reason I bought it was the employee's recommendation on the shelf. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it got me to buy the book.

Return to Top
#2182257 - 06/19/18 02:17 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) CompliantOkie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
Happy -- I was wondering if you were watching Safe on Netflix? It was written by Harlan Coben though it is not a Myron Bolitar series show. I'm 3 episodes in so far and am really enjoying it.
i may be the last person in America who does not watch anything on netflix, hulu, amazon, flix, hbo, showtime, etc...i have no patience for weekly series, so i no longer bother with them

Return to Top
#2182259 - 06/19/18 02:18 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
The Lost Order, Steve Berry...another in the Cotton Malone line of books

Return to Top
#2183803 - 07/02/18 04:05 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
OldeTymeBanker Offline
I belong to a book club through our local library, and I downloaded the book they have us reading for this month, Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. First of all, I wouldn't really call this a book....it's more like angsty journal entries. I see it has a 78% Five Star rating on Amazon, but of the other 22% the people who didn't like it really hated it. I think I have to put myself in that category.

Return to Top
#2186187 - 07/19/18 10:06 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Kiss Carlo by Adriana Trigiani.

I started The Outsider by Stephen King, but it really didn't feel like a summer book, so I have put it aside to pick up again in the fall.

Return to Top
#2186218 - 07/20/18 01:47 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By Skittles
Slightly off topic - is anyone watching 'The Terror' based on the Dan Simmons book? My husband tried reading the book but couldn't get through it, but we're watching the mini-series now.

I just finished reading The Terror. I enjoyed it! Totally different from my usual fare, and it took a little while to really get going, but I definitely don't regret the $1.99 Kindle daily deal price. smile

Return to Top
#2188772 - 08/10/18 07:17 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
OldeTymeBanker Offline
The Widow by Fiona Barton.

Return to Top
#2188783 - 08/10/18 07:51 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) OldeTymeBanker
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By OldTymeBanker
Kiss Carlo by Adriana Trigiani.

I started The Outsider by Stephen King, but it really didn't feel like a summer book, so I have put it aside to pick up again in the fall.

I just finished it today. Not my favorite of his but it was a good story.

Return to Top
#2189783 - 08/20/18 05:43 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
OldeTymeBanker Offline
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

Return to Top
#2192777 - 09/17/18 05:08 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Any one read "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI"? I'm just downloading it after I've heard it recommended by multiple people. From Amazon:

"In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, they rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.

Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off. The family of an Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. Her relatives were shot and poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more and more members of the tribe began to die under mysterious circumstances.

In this last remnant of the Wild West—where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes like Al Spencer, the “Phantom Terror,” roamed—many of those who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll climbed to more than twenty-four, the FBI took up the case. It was one of the organization’s first major homicide investigations and the bureau badly bungled the case. In desperation, the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including one of the only American Indian agents in the bureau. The agents infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest techniques of detection. Together with the Osage they began to expose one of the most chilling conspiracies in American history.

In Killers of the Flower Moon, David Grann revisits a shocking series of crimes in which dozens of people were murdered in cold blood. Based on years of research and startling new evidence, the book is a masterpiece of narrative nonfiction, as each step in the investigation reveals a series of sinister secrets and reversals. But more than that, it is a searing indictment of the callousness and prejudice toward American Indians that allowed the murderers to operate with impunity for so long. Killers of the Flower Moon is utterly compelling, but also emotionally devastating."

Return to Top
#2192779 - 09/17/18 05:11 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
HRH - my husband read that at my son's recommendation. And I believe he would agree with your assessment.

Return to Top
#2192791 - 09/17/18 05:55 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
The Eighth Day - John Case

Return to Top
#2192802 - 09/17/18 06:46 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
HRH Okie -
I downloaded and read the book about a year ago. My husband is Osage so it was particularly interesting to me. It's not what I expected. The format of the book didn't lend itself to audio. I bet reading it would be much more enjoyable. It's a great story though horribly sad for the tribe. Not to go into too much detail but the oil royalties are still very contentious and the effects from the events in the book are still felt. It's fascinating. I believe the Osage are one of the few tribes to retain their mineral rights to this day.

Return to Top
#2192888 - 09/18/18 12:38 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
After my recent trip to Savannah- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Return to Top
#2192892 - 09/18/18 01:16 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. Based in Soviet Russia … it is disturbingly reminiscent of 1984 in spots.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2192919 - 09/18/18 03:13 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Magic Triumphs / Ilona Andrews and League of Dragons / Naomi Novik

Return to Top
#2192974 - 09/18/18 06:42 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Don Quixote on Audible.

Return to Top
#2194438 - 10/02/18 03:52 PM Re: What are you reading? (2018) Q
OldeTymeBanker Offline
I read The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling on vacation. I later read that a TV series production had been done of it and they changed the ending because it was too gruesome. I agree!

Also read The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, which has a much nicer ending.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6