Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2164989 - 02/16/18 06:09 PM Nervous trip
LiveFunLife Offline
I am about to leave the country for a month long trip. Not too much else just down to about 2 weeks to go and have now got an odd nervous sensation that I am not used to feeling.

Anyone else have similar thoughts when traveling abroad?

Return to Top
#2164995 - 02/16/18 06:12 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Depends on where you are going and if you have all the required visas and vaccinations. Other then that, I usually get worse feelings when I have to drive into Houston.

Return to Top
#2164997 - 02/16/18 06:17 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
We travel abroad annually, some years more than once. We been to a number of countries, but most trips are to Mexico. I don't get nervous, but that's because of planning. Know how you will get money, have a back up plan for that, understand the transportation systems, verify that your phone and data plans cover you, have maps and directions for getting to your hotel, learn some basic phrases, try to find out about local customs. Being prepared is the best way to avoid nervousness.

Return to Top
#2165005 - 02/16/18 06:38 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
When my wife and I travel and am always a little nervous something will happen and our kids will be orphans. I just make sure I have my estate all in order and off we go. Whenever I get back I tell myself how silly it was that I was worried.

Have fun and enjoy your vacation!

Return to Top
#2165006 - 02/16/18 06:42 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I haven't been abroad in a few years but like MBH said, make sure you have all your bases covered and you always know where your passport is. My last trip was to Italy and my girls were in their mid to late teens but I kept my hands on their passports at all times. I know a lot of people depend on their debit and credit cards solely, but I would never do that. IMO I would make sure you have some cash with you. I'm sure all will be fine, so enjoy, it sounds like a great experience.

Return to Top
#2165015 - 02/16/18 06:57 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
RockChucker makes a good point. Any time we go anywhere, even in the US, I update a document for our children telling them about bank accounts, IRAs, car titles - basically everything they would need to clean up our estate.

Return to Top
#2165017 - 02/16/18 07:01 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
^^^
I do this also

Return to Top
#2165026 - 02/16/18 07:29 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I also make copies of my passport and any credit/debit cards I'm taking with me, just in case the originals get lost or stolen. The copies are kept separately from the originals. And I agree that you should have some of the local currency on hand before you leave the US.

Pack light. You can always buy stuff at your destination.

Return to Top
#2165087 - 02/16/18 10:37 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Depending on the country or area, you may want to get a RFID/passport wallet. You wear it under your shirt (around your neck) and it also protects the credit cards from being "read".

LLBean (and many others) has them

Return to Top
#2165108 - 02/19/18 03:12 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
LiveFunLife Offline
I appreciate it. Planning is always something that tends to ease the burden of travels. This time around we are planning less and trying to live a bit more. Then I suppose I could say living is in itself a stressful thing. We have the required documents, flights and hotels (for most of trip) The rest we are leaving up to just figuring it out. Staying in Rome for the majority of the trip. Safety shouldn't be a concern past flying and the random you can't plan for.

I think as I have gotten older I have lost the blind courage lol

Thanks all gonna enjoy my trip I am sure

Return to Top
#2165197 - 02/20/18 06:46 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Claud, you may be traveling to Naples and nearby Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius - not that far from Rome. From what I've read, Naples is one of the best areas to be distracted and have things missing - (from our travel agent and every tour book we read when we went there 4 years ago).

Return to Top
#2165681 - 02/23/18 07:44 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
LiveFunLife Offline
Rocky P Thanks!!! We are planning to go to both Naples and Pompeii as well as a few other stops. A lot can happen in 3 weeks. I took some sound advice and bought a few books to read up about the area as well as tapped into a few knowledge sources who have been. As sad as it is I will have to be vigilant and not just relaxed to the max as most of my trips go.

Return to Top
#2165907 - 02/26/18 08:47 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
There are three dangerous things to be aware of in Rome.

1. Pickpockets. I didn't have a problem, but I was warned by a nice guy who worked at the Vatican, and had lived in NY.
2. Getting run over. The Italians dare you to try to cross the street. There are two tactics that worked for us. One is to stare the driver in the eye and dare him to hit you. The second is to use a group of nuns as a human shield.
3. Gelato. Watch this stuff. You'll gain ten pounds if you get addicted.

Return to Top
#2166439 - 03/01/18 09:56 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Sounds like a wonderful trip! From your worry wart friend... let it go and enjoy (I am not to be held to the same advice - ha!)

Return to Top
#2166492 - 03/02/18 04:36 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Barry Thompson Offline
100 Club
Barry Thompson
Oswego, New York, United State...
A retired Secret Service Agent who works with us teaches that you should blend into your surroundings. A major example Americans wear sneakers most of the time when traveling. When in countries where the locals don't do this purchase the footwear they are using. When traveling in Europe I make those changes quickly and have had a fun time when people discover I am not a local. The goal awareness don't make yourself a target by standing out. Pick pockets and criminals are experts in knowing who doesn't belong resulting in you becoming a target. The same is true here as well.

Return to Top
#2166514 - 03/02/18 05:55 PM Re: Nervous trip Barry Thompson
LiveFunLife Offline
Not something I would have even considered... I will bring shoe inserts and find myself some local foot ware. I have made sure to dress the part or close to. Fantastic.

Thanks

Return to Top
#2166518 - 03/02/18 06:12 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Good news because of recent terrorist attacks in Europe Rome has less tourists to worry about.

https://www.thelocal.it/20160120/are-romes-woes-deterring-tourists-or-terrorism-fears

CAMS

Return to Top
#2170035 - 03/26/18 02:54 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
LiveFunLife Offline
The trip went well without any bit of problems or much stress. Visited Rome, Pompeii, Florence, Verona, Venice, Athens and Amsterdam.

I feel refreshed and honestly I love the USA more so than I had ever dreamed! It was eye opening and culture expanding. Couldn't be happier that I did it.

Now I have 3 weeks worth of work to catch up on... That will be the true test of character lol.

I appreciate all the advice. After worrying and then taking time to research and calm myself it was a fantastic time to be had.

Cheers

Return to Top
#2170243 - 03/27/18 01:20 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Sounds wonderful! (except for the catching up part!) Glad it was a great trip!

Return to Top
#2170266 - 03/27/18 02:19 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Cool! Sounds like a very nice trip. I've visited a few of those listed places many years ago.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2170288 - 03/27/18 03:11 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Glad you survived with no murders, robberies or other assorted felonies perpetrated against you like the majority of people that visit Europe laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2170570 - 03/28/18 02:42 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Claud, welcome back. Any WOW moments/places you would share?

Return to Top
#2170800 - 03/29/18 01:12 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
LiveFunLife Offline
Rocky P

Absolutely!

1st which has been on my list of things to see right at the very top is the Colosseum. It is every bit as amazing as I'd hoped. I took a full tour to start (even though I am not a fan of tours) and the next day I explored all that I could without a tour. I ate lunch next to it and just found myself wanting to exist near something that epic.

2nd The Acropolis. Standing in the city at a shop and being able to look up and see ancient works on the top of a small mountain is amazing. How they built what they did where they did with what they had really makes my mind blank. It was totally unexpected but the Acropolis is truly shocking to look at. The 30 min or so walk to grind up to the top of it all took me almost 2 hours. I looked at everything on the way appreciated the small spots of wonder and read every posting. The top was worth the entire trip...

2.5 While in the Acropolis I was asked to take some pictures for a student wanting to impress the class. We took about 150 photos and it was a blast. I am not sure he knew what he was getting himself into by talking to me!

3rd Not as happy as the last ones but a WOW for sure. Italy does not have access to clean water as a country. A large portion of money has to be spent just to hydrate. I never would have imagined it was as bad as it is. I spoke with a lot of locals and they say it is a bit of an embarrassment. Flip side a 10+ year endeavor by the Greeks and they now have clean water. The things I don't even consider a struggle are a serious health concern for some.

4th Amsterdam... The whole place was a WOW moment. Just walking and people watching is enough to make me think they charge for admission to the loony bin that is people lol. A wonderful place but your shoes will be sticky from drunk youth running about and singing.

Return to Top
#2171267 - 04/02/18 01:52 PM Re: Nervous trip LiveFunLife
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Thanks so much!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett