Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2165031 - 02/16/18 07:34 PM Business Purpose Construction to Perm
lrobbins Offline
We have a borrower that has a line of credit this used to fund the construction of multiple 1-4 family dwellings for investment purposes. Once the construction is complete on an individual dwelling, the line is paid down (not paid off) with proceeds from a new loan (same borrower) and set up for permanent financing. My question, for HMDA reporting, is the new permanent loan a refinance or purchase?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2165034 - 02/16/18 07:36 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm lrobbins
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Purchase

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2165049 - 02/16/18 08:21 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm RR Joker
lrobbins Offline
Thanks for your reply!

Return to Top
#2165054 - 02/16/18 08:32 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm lrobbins
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Some people may not agree based on the setup of the initial loan you have not really conforming to the normal construction only to permanent payout. In that alternate case, the consensus may be 'not reportable' because it won't be a refinance nor home improvement.

Return to Top
#2165055 - 02/16/18 08:33 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm lrobbins
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Sorry I just muddied the water for you...perhaps others will come along with their opinion wink

Return to Top
#2165058 - 02/16/18 08:37 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm lrobbins
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree that a loan to pay down a line is not a refinance. If it were a first time, business purpose, equity loan, I would say it is not reportable. However, if you know going into the initial plan that they will be doing the line and then getting a second loan, I would consider the second loan a purchase as well (like Joker).

I agree this can be debated.

Return to Top
#2165206 - 02/20/18 07:26 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm David Dickinson
lrobbins Offline
Thanks for your reply. We did know going in that the second loan would be done. The borrower is using the dwelling for rental income. I agree this is debatable, our thoughts right now is that we are going to report it as a purchase. Thanks for your help!!!

Return to Top
#2165226 - 02/20/18 09:21 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm lrobbins
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
We have a commercial line of credit secured with a multi-family dwelling. The proceeds will be used to "purchase property". The lender does not know if the property will be residential/non-residential. Would this transaction be HMDA reportable (as a purchase) if the property was non-residential and therefore not considered a "dwelling"?

Return to Top
#2165229 - 02/20/18 09:27 PM Re: Business Purpose Construction to Perm lrobbins
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
Would this transaction be HMDA reportable (as a purchase) if the property was non-residential and therefore not considered a "dwelling"?

No. But if they do buy residential property, it is reportable. The loan officer needs to know their intentions and document. Don't leave the door open - your just asking for trouble if you do.

Return to Top