#2165326 - 02/21/18 05:38 PM New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2165334 - 02/21/18 06:19 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
grin

Return to Top
#2165340 - 02/21/18 06:28 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
So is this considered "official" guidance?

Return to Top
#2165341 - 02/21/18 06:28 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Considering the CFPB also sent out a notice, I would think it would have to be.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2165343 - 02/21/18 06:31 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
Adam F Offline
Gold Star
Adam F
VA
This made me very happy today. smile

The answers I give are my opinions. Not legal advice.

Return to Top
#2165344 - 02/21/18 06:33 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
This jumped out at me on page V:

Additionally, this Guide is not a substitute for the requirements for filing the reportable data. The Filing Instructions Guide is the definitive source for information regarding the filing requirements and is available at www.consumerfinance.gov/data-research/hmda/for-filers.5

Return to Top
#2165349 - 02/21/18 06:37 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I imagine the FIG would have to be the 'final word', but to me it misses all the 'explanations of why you report what you report'.

Return to Top
#2165353 - 02/21/18 07:20 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club

I always thought the GIR was the definitions of what to file while the FIG was the how to file part.

Return to Top
#2165364 - 02/21/18 08:12 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
GTS333 Offline
Gold Star
I haven't had a chance to read through this yet, does it provide different info than all the previously released CFPB documents? A quick scan to me looks like it just incorporates the CFPB content we've all already seen, and nothing new, am I missing something in the details?

Return to Top
#2165365 - 02/21/18 08:16 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I did a fairly deep scan (though it was a scan) and it appears to be just a compilation of existing CFPB documents. I really didn't see anything that stuck out to me as new.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2165384 - 02/21/18 10:21 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
Very disappointing. A few pages of summary info and the rest is the CFPB stuff and the regulation/commentary.

Return to Top
#2165398 - 02/21/18 11:46 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
GTS333 Offline
Gold Star
I'm actually relieved. We have so much guidance from the CFPB spread out in various documents, the last thing I need is something from the FFIEC muddying the waters at this point. Can you imagine the issues if they interpreted a sentence differently than the CFPB??

Return to Top
#2165489 - 02/22/18 07:32 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site GTS333
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By GTS333
Can you imagine the issues if they interpreted a sentence differently than the CFPB??

We'll leave it to the examiners to come up with their own interpretations.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2165495 - 02/22/18 07:45 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site ahou
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By ahou
Very disappointing. A few pages of summary info and the rest is the CFPB stuff and the regulation/commentary.

Agreed. I was expecting something similar to the old GIR guide. This is just all the same information they already have out, packaged into one document.

Return to Top
#2165497 - 02/22/18 07:56 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site John Burnett
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By John Burnett
Can you imagine the issues if they interpreted a sentence differently than the CFPB??

Still waiting on the FDIC to come up with their own letter explaining how they interpret everything totally differently....they seem to love to interpret regulations they didn't write.

Return to Top
#2165499 - 02/22/18 07:59 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site raitchjay
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By raitchjay
Originally Posted By John Burnett

Still waiting on the FDIC to come up with their own letter explaining how they interpret everything totally differently....they seem to love to interpret regulations they didn't write.

And don't forget requiring all sorts of little weird stuff that isn't anywhere in the regulation, or that possibly is a carry-over from old regulation that no longer applies.

Return to Top
#2165502 - 02/22/18 08:05 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Y'all are giving me such good warm fuzzies for data integrity exam next week. crazy

Return to Top
#2165503 - 02/22/18 08:06 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I'm not even regulated by the FDIC here...i just always used to get a kick out of their letters explaining how HMDA wasn't really properly done the way we thought it was done. smile

Return to Top
#2165507 - 02/22/18 08:07 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Switch to a national charter, lol.

Return to Top
#2165509 - 02/22/18 08:17 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Compliance NABW
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
Originally Posted By JPC
Switch to a national charter, lol.

A-freaking-men!

I know it costs more, but I'm so thankful for only one set of examiners that don't sweat as much small stuff.

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#2165510 - 02/22/18 08:21 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
OCC? We're governed by the Fed, and for the most part, they are reasonable.

Return to Top
#2165512 - 02/22/18 08:26 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I liked the FRB...they were really good. From what I've ever seen/heard, the OCC were not very well "trained" .
Last edited by RR Joker; 02/22/18 08:27 PM.

Return to Top
#2165518 - 02/22/18 08:46 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site raitchjay
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By raitchjay
OCC? We're governed by the Fed, and for the most part, they are reasonable.

Yes, sir. My old crew smile. I thought the FRB fellows were pretty tip-top as well.

Return to Top
#2165520 - 02/22/18 08:51 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site RR Joker
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By RR Joker
I liked the FRB...they were really good. From what I've ever seen/heard, the OCC were not very well "trained" .

I don't exactly know how other Agencies do it, but I felt that the OCC training was pretty good. Remember though that Safety and Soundness is more of a priority with the OCC. So, yes, from a consumer compliance standpoint you are pretty much on your own to an extent. This is also because the OCC runs an exam all in one shot, rather than having separate S&S and Compliance exams. So, in many instances the Compliance piece is pretty limited. There were only 3 mandatory reviews for consumer compliance that we had to "cross off the list" at each exam. I started to dislike doing Compliance, because I would cite a bunch of violations, find a bunch of issues and the EIC would kind of poo-poo it. But, if a credit was getting downgraded, then everybody was up in arms and ready to tinkle their pants. Hence, why the CFPB came about and took Compliance stuff away. I remember one bank, they had a flood violation cited every exam for 6-7 years straight, but it was a different part of the Reg. each time. The District Compliance Head was like, "it's not a pattern or practice" (for determining CMPs, etc.), I was like, "If this isn't a pattern or practice, then what the heck is!!?"
Last edited by JPC; 02/22/18 08:57 PM.
Return to Top
#2167596 - 03/12/18 02:00 PM Re: New HMDA Guide Published at FFIEC Site Kathleen O. Blanchard
trying_to_comply Offline
100 Club
Is there a typo on page 239 of the GIR guide? It states the APR is to be reported to 2 decimal places:

Enter the rate spread to two decimal places, and use a leading zero. For example, enter 03.29. If the difference between the APR and the average prime offer rate is a figure with more than two decimal places, round the figure or truncate the digits beyond two decimal places.

Everything I have seen, including the FIG, reflects reporting to 3 decimal places, is that the consensus?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2