Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2168257 - 03/14/18 08:41 PM Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have recently received the updated version of the certification of beneficial ownership form and realize that there is not a spot for the percent of ownership. Our form is from our forms vendor and provided to us thru our Core processor as an online print document. Can someone tell me if the percentage of ownership has to be listed on the form or not? I know it was information listed on the form provided by FinCen. The percentage amount will be listed on our Core system just not on the actual certification form.

Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2168271 - 03/14/18 09:05 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Where is the percentage of ownership on FinCEN's form?

Return to Top
#2168286 - 03/14/18 09:43 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
FinCEN's form does not require the percentage of ownership.

The sole rationale for including the percentage of ownership voluntarily was to be able to evaluate whether an OFAC hit on a beneficial owner constituted a hit on the legal entity customer. Bankers have so over interpreted its inclusion that I no longer think adding it is a good idea.

Return to Top
#2168296 - 03/15/18 12:18 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Sorry - I was looking at another form that I had received in a seminar I had attended last year and just assumed that it was a requirement from FinCEN since it was listed on the form.

Thank you both for your help!

Return to Top
#2168383 - 03/15/18 03:56 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Elwood P. Dowd
JAM Offline
100 Club
I have been gong back and forth on including % specifically for OFAC. Is there a down side I am not seeing to including it? It does seem a bit pointless given we have NEVER had an OFAC hit. But now that we have this fool proof Beneficial Ownership thing we will certainly uncover all kinds of "OFAC types" that have been hiding behind entities....

Return to Top
#2168394 - 03/15/18 04:27 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I really can't see a pressing reason to have it. It isn't required and, frankly, it is just going to be easier for most to have a policy where they OFAC all BO's - otherwise, someone will forget the one BO that has over 50% ownership that the examiners/auditors will look at.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2168434 - 03/15/18 06:14 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
We will be performing OFAC on all BOs. Our core has fields for BOs and they will be scanned along with everything else. Just easier that way.

Return to Top
#2168449 - 03/15/18 07:09 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form TryingtoComply
JAM Offline
100 Club
My understanding (which could very well be wrong) is that if you get an OFAC match on a Beneficial Owner who is less than 51% of an owner then you do not freeze the funds as they do not own the majority of the entity. So if you don't gather percent of ownership how do you determine a course of action if you did ever get an OFAC match on a Beneficial Owner? Perhaps the procedure could be to "cross that bridge when you come to it" since it will likely not happen (at least based on our OFAC match history)?

Return to Top
#2168507 - 03/15/18 09:05 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
Cape Codder Offline
Gold Star
You're expected to OFAC all beneficial owners on your certification. If you have an individual with a positive match to the OFAC list, and that individual owns 50%+ of your legal entity, the legal entity will also be reported to OFAC as a positive match. Conversely, if you get a positive match on an entity, and you're aware of an individual with 50% or more ownership of that entity, the individual is also reported as a positive match and funds frozen as applicable. That's the value of obtaining ownership %.

Return to Top
#2168687 - 03/16/18 05:58 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Cape Codder
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By Cape Codder
You're expected to OFAC all beneficial owners on your certification. If you have an individual with a positive match to the OFAC list, and that individual owns 50%+ of your legal entity, the legal entity will also be reported to OFAC as a positive match. Conversely, if you get a positive match on an entity, and you're aware of an individual with 50% or more ownership of that entity, the individual is also reported as a positive match and funds frozen as applicable. That's the value of obtaining ownership %.

You are not expected to OFAC all beneficial owners. OFAC is a risk based decision. We have made the decision to do OFAC on our BO's but we are not capturing % of ownership. If we ever have an OFAC hit, and that is a huge if, we will contact the customer and inquire on the % at that time.

Return to Top
#2168714 - 03/16/18 06:45 PM Re: Certification of Beneficial Ownership Form Bankwoman1
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
We will be doing the same. IF it happens, we will deal with it.
Last edited by TryingtoComply; 03/16/18 06:46 PM.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z