Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2168582 - 03/16/18 02:06 PM User Name/Faces/Misc Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've always wondered what the faces (smiley or grayed out) mean next to user names? Originally I thought the gray one meant inactive, but a lot of those seem to post all the time. Can you change them?

Same for picture icons, I've never seen where these come from or go? I had a photo uploaded at one time but I never saw it when I posted so I felt these were separate.

If you change your username, do all of your previous posts delete? I'd like to change mine but am terrified I wouldn't be able to see "my posts".

I've read the forum rules but couldn't find anything that really covered the 'basics'. I once saw where someone was saying that they never saw "anonymous" answer any questions after an anonymous user complained their state's questions were never answered - it's because you can't comment anonymously in any forum other than needs to remain anonymous. I wish you could, though.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I wouldn't be where I am in my job today if it weren't for BOL - LOVE it and so thankful for this resource!

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2168596 - 03/16/18 02:38 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By Anonymous

I've read the forum rules but couldn't find anything that really covered the 'basics'. I once saw where someone was saying that they never saw "anonymous" answer any questions after an anonymous user complained their state's questions were never answered - it's because you can't comment anonymously in any forum other than needs to remain anonymous. I wish you could, though.

Back in the day you could post anonymously in any forum, until it got a bit catty, if you know what I mean.

#2168633 - 03/16/18 03:56 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
If you change your display name, the one that shows when you post, I am pretty sure that all of your other posts change to your new display name.

Don't change your actual user name....not sure what calamity that might cause.

#2168644 - 03/16/18 04:34 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
They do Swiggles. I changed my display name and all of the old posts now show my new display name.

#2168669 - 03/16/18 05:21 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
You can't change your avatar (photo under your name) any more. Or your signature line.

At one point you could change the smiley next to your name, and I do think it used to mean whether you were on the site at that point in time (yellow.) I don't know that it still means anything / indicates anything, and you haven't been able to change it for years.

#2168677 - 03/16/18 05:26 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
Monster Offline
Platinum Poster
How fun, those that have their avatar set as their picture will remain "fooooreeever young". I want to be...

#2168680 - 03/16/18 05:38 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can still change your signature in your profile.

#2168700 - 03/16/18 06:24 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
You might be able to, Mr. Guru, but the rest of us can't. laugh

Attempting to edit your signature line yields an error message saying your signature is too long, even if you're using a single character.

#2168701 - 03/16/18 06:26 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Oh - well I guess I didn't actually try to do it blush sick

#2168951 - 03/19/18 04:35 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I can't even edit any post I make anymore....when I try it gets all messed up. So,, I proofread before hitting submit. wink And the gray versus yellow face means someone is on-line versus off-line.

#2168953 - 03/19/18 04:37 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
That's the one thing i finally figured out PQ.....before you go to edit your post, copy it first...then when you hit "edit" and it disappears, paste your post...then you can edit as before.

#2168958 - 03/19/18 04:41 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions raitchjay
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By raitchjay
That's the one thing i finally figured out PQ.....before you go to edit your post, copy it first...then when you hit "edit" and it disappears, paste your post...then you can edit as before.

You can also "quick quote" yourself, copy that, then hit edit - for longer posts with quotes, italics, or bold.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

#2168991 - 03/19/18 06:34 PM Re: User Name/Faces/Misc Questions Anonymous
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Good to know! I would always just hit edit, used to work, hasn't in quite some time! Thanks!

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale