Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2166177 - 02/28/18 05:55 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
Thank you Randy and Dan. I am doing it right now.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2166256 - 02/28/18 11:04 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate it. It is my first time dealing with auditors directly without my boss who is out on sick leave and it is pretty stressful.

Thank you,

Return to Top
#2166269 - 03/01/18 03:39 AM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Pick and choose? The auditor is prime to learn a lesson == that your bank can pick and choose -- its auditors.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2166289 - 03/01/18 02:27 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
These auditors are all wet, pun intended. As everyone has agreed, unless the titles are retired on the homes your borrower owns, thus becoming your security by virtue of retired titles and you don't hold title, if titled, then you have zero interest in those or any other MH in that park!

The only OTHER possibility, and I think you already cleared it as non-issue, would be any other common buildings...utilities house, common rec room, etc.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2166299 - 03/01/18 02:37 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
It is my first time dealing with auditors directly without my boss who is out on sick leave and it is pretty stressful.

As the owner of a consulting company that performs audits, this is shocking to hear. First, we all make mistakes and don't know everything, but when you go back with information, it really surprises me that they are sticking to their guns - especially when they are wrong. I know what it's like to try to convince a bank that something they are doing is wrong, but when those situations arise, the first thing we do is ensure we're right by going to the regulations and proving it. Sounds like these auditors are just being arrogant and naive (intentionally).

An audit can be stressful on bank personnel, but the auditors should be doing everything they can to reduce that stress - not increase it. As John pointed out, you can pick and choose. There are LOTS of outside companies to choose from and after 25 years of consulting, I can attest that not all companies are created equally. When this is over and you're looking for your next engagement, be sure to compare apples to apples. Stress on you and your Team is a major factor to consider.

Return to Top
#2166305 - 03/01/18 02:47 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We also use external auditors to strength the compliance program and they are wonderful to work with and feel a part of our team. We can have discussions with them if we don't agree and everything else that David stated above. You might want to talk to management about looking at alternatives.

Hang in there!!!

Return to Top
#2166327 - 03/01/18 03:56 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
AZ, let us know how this all falls out please.

Return to Top
#2166353 - 03/01/18 05:49 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
After calling my boss multiple times, he showed up at the Bank. I felt really bad as he recently finished his chemo, but I was really glad he came. I showed this thread and he agreed with where I stood. Thank you all.

The most stressful part was that I would do research and ask around and would go back with citations and they would bring up other scenarios. Some of the questions/comments were:
"Your appraisal used income approach for the value. If there is no MH, the value will be only land value, therefore you need flood insurance"
"You have to find out who is going to be beneficiaries on those flood policies, as they are individually owned"
"Even if you didn't take security interest on the MH, it doesn't matter, they are located on the park you took as collateral"
"How do you determine, MH is affixed, is it when they are plugged in to the utilities? It is hard to determine"
"It is part of the property if customers leave their MH when they move. Do they leave their MH or take them with them?"

Return to Top
#2166359 - 03/01/18 06:07 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Oh lord - what rock did you find this auditing firm under smile Not only do they not understand flood, they know nothing about basic lending and collateral requirements. You guys need to move on to a different firm next year. After hearing this, I am embarrassed to even to admit that I was in the same profession.

Return to Top
#2166446 - 03/01/18 10:18 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Me too. We offer a "delight guarantee". Do they? I would explain to them how much time they have wasted. I hope they aren't billing by the hour. Even if they aren't, how much time and money of yours have they wasted? I would definitely go to their managers/owners and demand a discount/refund.

Again, we all make mistakes and I often learn things too, but the comments you posted tells me they don't even understand basic title/real estate rules yet they continued to burden you.

Again, I wouldn't just accept this or simply not use them next year. I would ask for financial restitution now.

Return to Top
#2166511 - 03/02/18 05:51 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
They definitely wasted my energy, sanity, and time for sure. I can't remember the last time when I was this stressed. I have been in banking for 2.5 years. Not very long. But I take my job serious and like to do everything correctly. When they started questioning and telling me that I was wrong, I started second guessing myself and I hate that. I keep thinking maybe these guys are right because they have been in the banking for their whole entire careers.I shouldn't have doubted myself.

Return to Top
#2166537 - 03/02/18 06:49 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Did they apologize or anything?

Return to Top
#2166545 - 03/02/18 07:06 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"I keep thinking maybe these guys are right because they have been in the banking for their whole entire careers."

Well plainly that is not possible, regardless of what they may have told you. Either that or they got run out of banking and decided on a new career path with about the same success.

Return to Top
#2167578 - 03/11/18 01:02 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By AZloan
I keep thinking maybe these guys are right because they have been in the banking for their whole entire careers.
AZ, you've learned an important lesson--be sure your boss mentions it in your next performance evaluation.

The span of one's banking career commands the respect of others, but it doesn't guarantee his/her opinion is right. When it comes to regulatory questions, the final authority is the regulation (and the issuing agency.) Until there is a CFR cite or reference to official material issued by the rulewriters, you don't have an answer. "Because we've always done it this way" or "trust me, I'm from the government" is never enough.

You came up with the cite to support your position. Your auditors did not. You win.

Return to Top
#2167579 - 03/11/18 01:07 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By AZloan
I keep thinking maybe these guys are right because they have been in the banking for their whole entire careers.
AZ, you've learned an important lesson--be sure your boss mentions it in your next performance evaluation.

The span of one's banking career commands the respect of others, but it doesn't guarantee his/her opinion is right. When it comes to regulatory questions, the final authority is the regulation (and the issuing agency.) Until there is a CFR cite or reference to official material issued by the rulewriters, you don't have an answer. "Because we've always done it this way" or "trust me, I'm from the government" is never enough.

You came up with the cite to support your position. Your auditors did not. You win. The same rule applies to confrontations with bank examiners--they aren't right until there's a cite!

Return to Top
#2168659 - 03/16/18 05:06 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
Thank you all. The draft report came back from the auditing company and the flood issue was not there. They removed it as an exception. I think that they went to their compliance team or something and learned that I was correct. Well, you guys were correct and I reached out to the right people. smile

I think I can say that I am little more prepared for next audits and will be standing up to my position with little more confidence.

Return to Top
#2168661 - 03/16/18 05:07 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Congrats AZ, that is great news.

Return to Top
#2168670 - 03/16/18 05:22 PM Re: Are auditors correct? AZloan
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Yes congrats AZ.....