Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#216878 - 07/28/04 07:34 PM Association as beneficiary on CD
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
A customer came into the bank asking if they could make an association the POD on their CD. I don't see a problem with this, but my question is: What would you use to cash in the CD in that event? What would you require for proof of the association? Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#216879 - 07/28/04 10:57 PM Re: Association as beneficiary on CD
Banker Boy Offline
Banker Boy
Florida
If it's unincorporated, I believe they would still file with the state. If it's a corporation (an association can be incorporated), they would have their corporate paperwork.

Return to Top
#216880 - 07/29/04 08:47 PM Re: Association as beneficiary on CD
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
This was a question that my bank recently addressed. The operative law regarding beneficiaries in Massachusetts Chapter 167D uses the term "person" but does not define what a person is. We made the decision to only allow actual persons (people, humans, what have you) to be a beneficiary because of the difficulty in determining who would be the representative able to transact upon the death of the owner.

Return to Top
#216881 - 07/30/04 02:33 PM Re: Association as beneficiary on CD
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
But if it's John Doe coming in for the association, what records would you require proving that John is with the association?

Return to Top
#216882 - 07/30/04 03:04 PM Re: Association as beneficiary on CD
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you would have articles of incorporation stating who the officers of the association are, or who are empowered to act on the associations behalf.

Return to Top