Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2169132 - 03/20/18 02:02 PM Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia
Somer Offline
Is this loan HMDA reportable and if so, how do I report:

Have a loan to a LLC in which the developer is refinancing to take cash out for the purpose of purchasing future residential investment properties. The collateral that is securing the loan is both a commercial warehouse and a residential condo. The warehouse has an existing lien, which will be paid at closing and the residential condo has no existing lien.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2169141 - 03/20/18 02:51 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
The purpose {Purchase residential RE] is a reportable purpose and you have a dwelling as security, so yes.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2169156 - 03/20/18 03:29 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I agree.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2169183 - 03/20/18 04:59 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Adam Witmer
DMSESQ Offline
New Poster
even if said residential real estate is not identified?

Return to Top
#2169187 - 03/20/18 05:24 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Yes. A loan secured by a dwelling to purchase a dwelling is a reportable dwelling purchase regardless if he dwelling being purchased has been identified.

A Financial Institution may rely on an applicant’s oral or written statement regarding the proposed use of the loan proceeds. For example, a Financial Institution could use a check box or a purpose line on an Application form. If an applicant provides no statement as to the proposed use of the proceeds, and the Covered Loan is not a Home Purchase Loan, cash-out Refinancing, or Refinancing, a Financial Institution reports the Covered Loan as for an “other” purpose. Comment 4(a)(3)-1.

Return to Top
#2169189 - 03/20/18 05:25 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Yes. There is no requirement to identify the dwelling(s) to be purchased.

Return to Top
#2169251 - 03/20/18 08:00 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia hmdagal
DMSESQ Offline
New Poster
We get these types of loans on our commercial side ALL the time. So if my lenders say "for future investment purposes" only, leaving out the words "residential real estate" then it's not HMDA reportable even if it's dwelling secured because it's not a purchase, refi or home improvement. Correct?

Return to Top
#2169257 - 03/20/18 08:07 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If your senior management allows the loan officers to purposely not determine the true purpose of the loan then you have issues.

9.2.2 HMDA responsibilities

A Financial Institution’s management should ensure that procedures and systems exist to collect and maintain accurate data for each Covered Loan and Application that the Financial Institution is responsible for reporting. The individual(s) assigned responsibility for preparing and maintaining the data should understand the regulatory requirements and be provided the resources and tools needed to produce complete and accurate data. ..............

Return to Top
#2169280 - 03/20/18 09:18 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree with everything stated IF the collateral property is classified as a dwelling. The OP said "The collateral that is securing the loan is both a commercial warehouse and a residential condo." This is a mixed use property. If it's classified as primarily a non-dwelling, then the loan would not be secured by a dwelling. Therefore, it would not be subject to HMDA reporting. If it's classified as primarily a dwelling, then it is a HMDA purchase.

Return to Top
#2169302 - 03/21/18 12:04 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
David, I took it as two separate pieces of collateral, not one mixed-use property. I guess that point needs to be clarified for an accurate answer. If the property to secure the loan is a single mixed-use piece of property classified as primarily residential, then the loan would be HMDA reportable. If the property to secure the loan is a single mixed-use piece of property classified as primarily commercial, the loan would not be HMDA reportable. If the property to secure the loan is two separate pieces of property, one commercial and one residential, the loan would be HMDA reportable.

Return to Top
#2169325 - 03/21/18 01:42 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I did too...but only the OP can clear that up for sure. It just didn't sound like the type of properties to be on one tract smile

Return to Top
#2169333 - 03/21/18 01:53 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I don't think it mattes if it's one building or not. The mixed use property exemption found in Commentary to §1003.2(f) #4 could be a single building or multiple buildings. "Property" can be a parcel of land and even have different addresses. Refer to §1003.4(a)(9) #3 for clarification on this.

I do see these types of buildings in old downtown areas where warehouses are being developed into restaurants/bars/etc. on the first floor and the floors above are residential apartments/condo's.

Return to Top
#2169337 - 03/21/18 02:05 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My comment was 'same tract' not 'one building'. I totally agree with the mixed use on downtown business/condo, but would never consider mixed use if I have multiple pieces of collateral scattered over different areas .

Return to Top
#2169344 - 03/21/18 02:24 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
My comment was 'same tract' not 'one building'. I totally agree with the mixed use on downtown business/condo, but would never consider mixed use if I have multiple pieces of collateral scattered over different areas.

I agree and that is how I took Beech's explanation.

If the warehouse and condo are on the same property, even though they may have separate mailing addresses, you can apply the mixed-use criteria. But if the loan is secured by a warehouse located at XYX Business Complex and the condo is located across town at ABC Green Acres Condo Complex the loan is secured by multiple properties, not mixed-use property.

This is another example of why the person posting questions need to be more precise in the details, otherwise all answers are strictly speculation based on the responder's perspective of the question.

Return to Top
#2169350 - 03/21/18 02:34 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia RR Joker
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By RR Joker
... 'same tract' not 'one building'. I totally agree with the mixed use on downtown business/condo, but would never consider mixed use if I have multiple pieces of collateral scattered over different areas .
FWIW - I also agree.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2169360 - 03/21/18 02:59 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Dan Persfull
DMSESQ Offline
New Poster
Dan, our footprint is in very urban areas, with many mixed-use buildings. Many of our borrowers that purchase property for investment purposes have mixed portfolios of both residential and commercial, and due to the urban nature of our footprint, there is a lot of mixed-use. So that is why we've generally allowed for the looser language because if there is not a specific property known at the time of origination, we don't know what type of property the borrower will invest in next. Many of the borrowers tap into the equity of their existing investment properties so that they have cash in hand for foreclosure sales.

Return to Top
#2169365 - 03/21/18 03:18 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
we don't know what type of property the borrower will invest in

It is still your FI's responsibility to determine the purpose of the proceeds based on the information obtained from the applicant and to gather the required information for covered loans under Reg. C.

I've been in this business since 1974 and when I was a commercial loan officer I never once had a customer that told me they had no idea what type of property they were looking to buy when they were applying for a loan. All I had to do was ask.

I'm not saying you have to be that strict....but on the other hand I would never accept a loan officer's claim they did not know what their customer's intended use for the money was.

Return to Top
#2169391 - 03/21/18 05:01 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Same here ^^^.

Return to Top
#2169393 - 03/21/18 05:06 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia RR Joker
Somer Offline
To clear this up. The loan is secured by 2 separate pieces of property. One is a commercial warehouse and the other is a residential condo. You are correct that it is not one property with a mix of commercial and residential space.

Sorry for the confusion.

Return to Top
#2169397 - 03/21/18 05:27 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Dan Persfull
DMSESQ Offline
New Poster
I think my point is more that if a borrower said, I'm shopping around for mixed-use property, how will we know if it's going to be a dwelling or commercial if the property has not yet been identified?
Last edited by DMSESQ; 03/21/18 05:28 PM.
Return to Top
#2169401 - 03/21/18 05:44 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm pretty sure in all my years either as a lender or directly involved in lending, I've never heard a customer say they were specifically looking for or were in the market for mixed-use property. They usually tend to have something more specific in mind although when the time comes, just because a commercial building or a residential with a commercial aspect presents itself, they may not rule it out.

More recently, I have heard LO's say 'well it's not really my business what they do'. Yeah, right. You're lending the bank's money so yes, it certainly IS our business.

Return to Top
#2169402 - 03/21/18 05:45 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I don't think most consumers even know what "mixed-use" property is.

Return to Top
#2169409 - 03/21/18 06:15 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Commercial customers would though.

Return to Top
#2169460 - 03/21/18 07:59 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
More recently, I have heard LO's say 'well it's not really my business what they do'. Yeah, right. You're lending the bank's money so yes, it certainly IS our business.

CMP: $250,000 Agencies: OCC Assets 9/30/06: $807 million
The International Bank of Miami, N.A., Coral Gables, Florida, is alleged to have violated the Bank Secrecy Act; to have engaged in unsafe and unsound practices when it failed to supervise adequately its Capital Markets Group (CMG); and to have failed to ensure that CMG's securities transactions were conducted safely, soundly, and legally. Specifically, the OCC's order alleges that the bank:
• Violated the BSA and 31 CFR 103.33(a) [records of loan transactions] by permitting CMG to maintain records that frequently failed to adequately identify a legitimate business purpose for loans, or fully and adequately describe the nature and purpose of loans (loans were described merely as being for "working capital").
• Failed to maintain a system of controls to monitor and report suspicious activity.
• Failed to adequately identify and monitor accounts of politically-exposed persons (PEPs).
• Failed to monitor loans accounts and payments for suspicious activity.
• Did not have an adequate training program on detecting and reporting suspicious activity.
• Permitted CMG to make loans that did not conform to the bank's own lending policies, and to omit obtaining proper authorization for large credits.
• Allowed CMG to provide incomplete or inadequate loan documentation and recordkeeping, not in accordance with bank policies.
• Failed to do adequate customer due diligence, especially for high-risk customers.
• Allowed CMG to maintain an inadequate record of its securities transactions.
• Permitted OMG to engage in securities transactions in violation of OCC regulations.
• Allowed CMG to conduct securities transactions with high-risk countries without risk management procedures.

Return to Top
#2169482 - 03/21/18 08:20 PM Re: Multiple Properties, 1 commercial and 1 residentia Somer
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Right.

Return to Top