Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2169434 - 03/21/18 07:14 PM Temporary Financing
Somer Offline
Is this considered temporary financing and not HMDA reportable.

Financing a loan to a developer to both purchase a dwelling, which will be torn down and to construct two condo units which will be sold upon completion.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2169438 - 03/21/18 07:22 PM Re: Temporary Financing Somer
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
We had a huge debate on this topic a while back. https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbt...-torn-down-hmda

Most on here will look at the "forward use" of the building and say it is not reportable. The reasoning is that the structure is not goingto be used as a dwelling and the spec homes (condos) are not reportable due to the 2017 HMDA final rule. As you will see in the referenced thread, there have been some conflicting responses from the CFPB, so you will need to pick a method and be consistent.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2169467 - 03/21/18 08:08 PM Re: Temporary Financing Adam Witmer
Somer Offline
When I read the 2018 HMDA getting It Right Guide listed on page 34 are four examples for temporary financing. The last example states that a loan to an investor to purchase a home, renovate it and sell is "Not" temporary financing because the loan is not designed to be "replaced by" separate permanent financing. Am I misunderstanding this example to be the same as my question.

Return to Top
#2169472 - 03/21/18 08:13 PM Re: Temporary Financing Somer
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
But that's not your scenario.....they're not buying a home to flip it....they're buying a "home" (really, just an abandoned building) to raze it and construct spec homes.
Last edited by raitchjay; 03/21/18 08:16 PM.

Return to Top
#2169473 - 03/21/18 08:14 PM Re: Temporary Financing Somer
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Razing a building/dwelling and starting all over is not an example of a flip ("purchase a home, renovate it, and sell it").

Return to Top
#2169496 - 03/21/18 09:47 PM Re: Temporary Financing Somer
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree these are different things. (razing and flipping).

Read the link Adam provided and let us know if you still have questions.

Return to Top