Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2170433 - 03/27/18 07:23 PM Does Spouse have right to rescind?
LostinRegLand Offline
100 Club
WA
Background-New money Refinance loan husband only on loan. Wife signed a quick claim deed signing away her interest in the property to the husband. Both live there as their principal dwelling. We are in Washington state which is a community property state. Since the wife signed away her ownership interest would she no longer have the right to rescind regardless of the community property aspect? I have read other threads, 1026.23, the definitions in 1026.2 and a quick review of the Washington State community property definition RCW 26.16.030 and Separate property of spouse RCW 26.16.010. This may be an issue I need to talk with legal counsel on but wanted all of your opinions.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2170436 - 03/27/18 07:47 PM Re: Does Spouse have right to rescind? LostinRegLand
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No ownership - no Federal right of rescission.

Return to Top
#2170490 - 03/27/18 10:17 PM Re: Does Spouse have right to rescind? LostinRegLand
Comply Offline
Because it is her primary homestead, and community property state, I believe she has a right to rescind.

Return to Top
#2170494 - 03/27/18 10:55 PM Re: Does Spouse have right to rescind? LostinRegLand
crcmnot Offline
Gold Star
No ROR but Homestead verbiage will need to be added to DOT; wife has no security interest in the real estate but due to community property State will need to acknowledge her homestead rights.

Return to Top
#2170531 - 03/28/18 01:14 PM Re: Does Spouse have right to rescind? LostinRegLand
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
[qoute]Because it is her primary homestead, and community property state, I believe she has a right to rescind.[/quote]
Every community property state has some different twists and I'm not an expert on Washington's laws. However, I'm not aware of any state that automatically grants the spouse ownership, especially when the "Wife signed a quick claim deed signing away her interest in the property to the husband."

While you can always overkill the RofR, I don't believe it is necessary in this case. Like you said, you might want to discuss it with legal counsel.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z