Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2170615 - 03/28/18 03:59 PM Preauthorized transfer revoked (company level)
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
I am having some difficulty coming up with a firm conclusion on Reg. E and whether a transaction is an unauthorized eft or not. If a customer had a preauthorized transfer set up with Company xyz, but subsequently revoked such authorization at the company level, meaning they did not contact their financial institution at all, is this in unauthorized eft under Reg. E if Company xyz continues to withdraw money? It seems to me that it would be, but the piece I am having trouble with is what if they have no evidence to provide to the financial institution saying they revoked authorization? Couldn't this be an are ripe for abuse otherwise? Does the customer have to prove they revoked with Company xyz?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2170712 - 03/28/18 08:16 PM Re: Preauthorized transfer revoked (company level) Compliance NABW
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If a customer had a preauthorized transfer set up with Company xyz, but subsequently revoked such authorization at the company level, meaning they did not contact their financial institution at all, is this in unauthorized eft under Reg. E if Company xyz continues to withdraw money?

What would contacting their financial institution do? They notify the company and then if the company does not stop they notify the financial institution.

It seems to me that it would be, but the piece I am having trouble with is what if they have no evidence to provide to the financial institution saying they revoked authorization?

And what would this be? A copy of the letter they mailed or a recording of the phone call?

Return to Top
#2170724 - 03/28/18 09:01 PM Re: Preauthorized transfer revoked (company level) Compliance NABW
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
I was referring to the Reg. E piece about Consumer's right to to stop payment [12 CFR 1005.10(c)] and associated Official Interpretation.

REVOCATION OF AUTHORIZATION.
Once a financial institution has been notified that the consumer's authorization is no longer valid, it must block all future payments for the particular debit transmitted by the designated payee-originator. But see comment 10(c)-3. The institution may not wait for the payee-originator to terminate the automatic debits. The institution may confirm that the consumer has informed the payee-originator of the revocation (for example, by requiring a copy of the consumer's revocation as written confirmation to be provided within 14 days of an oral notification). If the institution does not receive the required written confirmation within the 14-day period, it may honor subsequent debits to the account.

Return to Top
#2170726 - 03/28/18 09:07 PM Re: Preauthorized transfer revoked (company level) Compliance NABW
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They may go that route, but they are under no obligation to do so. Plus, that process is not usually free.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett