Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2170675 - 03/28/18 06:02 PM IOLTA Accounts
Debbie Offline
New Poster
Is an IOLTA account subject to the new beneficial ownership rules? I have seen some interpretations as yes and some as no. Help!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2170678 - 03/28/18 06:06 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I do not have specific guidance but I have seen both ways also. As of now, unless we can get clear guidance we are going to include them.

Return to Top
#2170679 - 03/28/18 06:07 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
Debbie Offline
New Poster
Thanks!

Return to Top
#2170681 - 03/28/18 06:11 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey

Return to Top
#2170682 - 03/28/18 06:13 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Ken--thanks for the perspective...never thought of it that way. Makes sense. Most of our attorneys we deal with are partnerships.

Return to Top
#2170686 - 03/28/18 06:31 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
Debbie Offline
New Poster
Same here. Thanks

Return to Top
#2170698 - 03/28/18 07:20 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts ahkcompliance
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
Arguably, the opening of an IOLTA account by a law firm that is a legal entity is exempt from the "equity interest" owner requirement under the "intermediated account relationship" exemption.

The trouble is that no such exemption applies to any other account types, provided the law firm's legal entity structure requires them to be subjected to BO requirements. In my experience working at and with institutions, typically a firm that has an IOLTA account also has an operating account, which would not be under the "intermediated account relationship" exclusion. As such, in practice it's better to just get BO data when opening an IOLTA for all law firms subject to the rule that aren't otherwise exempt. IMHO, it makes more sense to do so from a practical perspective, even though it's not technically required.

Return to Top
#2170703 - 03/28/18 07:29 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
I don't read intermediated accounts as an exemption. The legal entity (in this case the law firm) is the bank's customer for CIP and CDD purposes.

From the preamble:

In the NPRM, we proposed that if an intermediary is the customer, and the financial institution has no CIP obligation with respect to the intermediary's underlying clients pursuant to existing guidance, a financial institution should treat the intermediary, and not the intermediary's underlying clients, as its legal entity customer....

...For these reasons, FinCEN believes that attorney escrow and client trust accounts should be treated like other intermediated accounts described above, and we accordingly deem such escrow accounts intermediated accounts for purposes of the beneficial ownership requirement.

Return to Top
#2177908 - 05/11/18 08:04 PM Re: IOLTA Accounts BrianC
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Transcript of audio message left for client:

“Hi. I’m calling from FinCen. You had sent a email last week. Umm, in regards to your email, uh, I need you to think about this in two segments for beneficial ownership – the IOLTA trust account as one, and then the law firm or lawyer as another. Uh, the IOLTA trust is quasi-government, uh, so, umm, that possibly would just have the control prong. Umm, and then you would treat the law firm or lawyer as normal, uh, for beneficial ownership. Uh, but the trust itself is quasi-government, uh, in that manner, umm, so think of it that way. Uh, if you need something further, you will need to indicate your availability. I tried going through the operator today but was unsuccessful, umm, so I ended up calling back to leave a message. Uh, thank you and have a good day.”

No comment.

Return to Top
#2177942 - 05/12/18 02:16 AM Re: IOLTA Accounts Debbie
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
<facepalm>

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z