Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#217271 - 07/29/04 02:31 PM Summer Reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone have any suggestions for some good books? I am currently reading The Lovely Bones. I have heard great reviews, but I am not too impressed. I tend to have a difficult time agreeing with others opinions on books. My all-time favorite is She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#217272 - 07/29/04 02:33 PM Re: Summer Reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey!! It's jennyfromthebloc here, for some reason I can't get logged in to post. But, I am the original poster of this thread- just wanted you all to know.

Return to Top
#217273 - 07/29/04 02:46 PM Re: Summer Reading
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
My wife recommended The Lovely Bones to me a couple years ago, but when she gave me a thumbnail sketch of the story line I wanted no part of it. Yet, it's on our teenager's reading list for school this year so I thumbed through it and ended up reading it in two days. I was enthralled.

I reread most of the original James Bond (Ian Flemning) books this summer. I read them all when I was in junior high and it was like visiting an old friend.

The books currently on my nightstand are The 9/11 Commission Report and Jesse James: Last Rebel of the Civil War

Return to Top
#217274 - 07/29/04 02:46 PM Re: Summer Reading
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
what kinds of books do you like?

Fiction/Non-fiction?

Romance/Adventure/Mystery/Fantasy/Sci-fi?

Return to Top
#217275 - 07/29/04 03:04 PM Re: Summer Reading
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I read way to much. Anything by Vince Flynn, which are political/action with recurring characters, so it is best to read in order. I also like Michael Connelly, which also use recurring characters, and are mysteries. Just finished 3 books by Jeffrey Deaver.

If you haven't read any of the Stephen King novels, I recommend most of them (not The Stand...boring). I think Christine was excellent, much of it is told from the cars point of view. And if your going to the beach this summer, I recommend Jaws. Much better than the movie.

Return to Top
#217276 - 07/29/04 03:06 PM Re: Summer Reading
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I have been on a Marian Keyes (sp) kick of late... she is a british "chick Lit" writer... They are fun and thoughtful as well...

Return to Top
#217277 - 07/29/04 03:08 PM Re: Summer Reading
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I agree, I've read some Marain Keyes books and they're good. The first one I read was Lucy Sullivan is getting married and I thought it was funny.

Return to Top
#217278 - 07/29/04 03:12 PM Re: Summer Reading
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I just finished last chance saloon and watermelon... they were great. I also loved elizabeth young's books... also chick lit... it's summer my brain doesn't want heavy stuff!

Return to Top
#217279 - 07/29/04 03:28 PM Re: Summer Reading
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Interesting that you should find "The Stand" boring. It is considered by many (including me) to be his best work. Different strokes.... Currently have Song of Susannah, Parenting the Hurt Child, Isaac Asimov's Nemesis, and History of the Arab World in my various reading spots around the house.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#217280 - 07/29/04 03:33 PM Re: Summer Reading
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I recently read Cane River by Lalita Tademy. Excellent read! It's one of those that you find yourself thinking about months after you've read it.

I've got "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" on my nightstand now. It's a mystery told from the point of view of a 15 year old autistic boy. Very interesting.

Return to Top
#217281 - 07/29/04 04:02 PM Re: Summer Reading
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
DaVinci Code - fast paced mystery thriller type can't-put-it-down read. Right now, Wicked is sitting on my nightstand but it's hard to read in the pool so it'll probably still be there come cooler weather.

Return to Top
#217282 - 07/29/04 05:39 PM Re: Summer Reading
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
If you enjoy Romance Carly Phillips is my new favorite! I can't put her books down. My husband hates her though, her books seem to be the only thing that takes away from my time with him

Return to Top
#217283 - 07/29/04 05:43 PM Re: Summer Reading
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I, too, loved 'The Stand'. I have read both the abridged and unabridged versions on several occasions.

I've read a few books by David Baldacci and love the way he writes. These are action/mystery type of books and once I start one I can't put it down.

Return to Top
#217284 - 07/29/04 05:53 PM Re: Summer Reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd say anything James Patterson, Catherine Coulter or Nora Roberts. Also, Lawrence Saunders, but haven't seen anything new lately.
g

Return to Top
#217285 - 07/29/04 06:11 PM Re: Summer Reading
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
I too love Vince Flynn and enjoyed "Memorial Day". John Sanford has a series - maybe 11 or so - with the same main character that I really enjoy. All the books have 'Prey' in the title. The first is "Rules of Prey". They're police/killer/mystery.

Return to Top
#217286 - 07/29/04 06:18 PM Re: Summer Reading
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Just finished the Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) - whoa nelly!

Return to Top
#217287 - 07/29/04 06:22 PM Re: Summer Reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anything by Chuck Pahlaniuk is good. He's the guy who wrote "Fight Club." I'd recommend "Survivor" or "Lullaby"

Return to Top
#217288 - 07/29/04 06:28 PM Re: Summer Reading
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
I really like Nelson DeMille. Along the same lines of Baldacci. I had forgotten about Vince Flynn, another good one. DeMille wrote The Generals Daughter. IMO, his best are The Charm School, Upcountry (same character as T.G.D.), The Gold Coast. Steve Martini is good too, recurring roles, legal thrillers.

I've heard alot of good things about the Da Vinci Code, may have to pick that up next.

Return to Top
#217289 - 07/29/04 06:42 PM Re: Summer Reading
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
My husband finished the Da Vinci code in a weekend. I'm currently reading the 1st one by Dan Brown - Angels & Demons (I think that's what its called). It hasn't gripped me as much as I've heard the Da Vinci code does.

Return to Top
#217290 - 07/29/04 06:46 PM Re: Summer Reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

I admit I'm also a book-aholic. The Stand-one of my favs-read it several times. Right now I'm working on Jackdaws by Ken Follett, a female-secret-agent Nazi thing. Give me a good thriller anytime with not too much politics, science fiction or mushy stuff (sexy stuff is ok but make it relevant. None of this "he looked into the limpid pools of her eyes...." GAG!

Return to Top
#217291 - 07/29/04 07:08 PM Re: Summer Reading
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I thought Angels and Demons was better than the DaVinci Code. I agree with DeMille, but only thought that Charm School was worth reading, Up Country was implausible and draged on forever. Like most of Baldacci, but some sounds like the same story, with different characters. His best has to be "The Winner."

Return to Top
#217292 - 07/29/04 08:21 PM Re: Summer Reading
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

I thought Angels and Demons was better than the DaVinci Code.

I agree, but Brown could have left out a plot twist or four at the end and it would have been much better.

Return to Top
#217293 - 07/29/04 08:30 PM Re: Summer Reading
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I am currently reading Antonia Fraser's "The Weaker Vessel". It is a very interesting (history) book about women in the 17th century. (I know it may sound boring, but damn, it makes my life look good!).

Return to Top
#217294 - 07/29/04 08:44 PM Re: Summer Reading
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I just finished reading Utopia by Lincoln Child. This is not the literary classic Utopia by Thomas Moore. This is a techno-thriller novel set in a futuristic amusement park called Utopia. The story involves elements of robotics, artificial intelligence, and terrorism. It's sort of on the lines of a Jurassic Park kind of story. Very good read.

Return to Top
#217295 - 07/29/04 08:59 PM Re: Summer Reading
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
The Pilots Wife, by Anita Shreve and Cruel & Unusual by Patricia Cornwell.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3