Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2173663 - 04/16/18 05:14 PM Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone?
LiveFunLife Offline
Middle of last year I decided I needed to start reading again (Both paper and audio) and something not to do with work. I figured I would get through one Trilogy or something similar and be happy about it. Well some 30+ books or so later I realized I was craving reading more so than I had anticipated. Does anyone else read Fantasy and want to talk about it? Any books after reading the list you think I should check out? Etc...

Here are some titles I have read or listened to.

The King Killer Chronicles (2 of 3)
The Storm Light archives (in the beginning of the 3rd installment)
The Wheel of Time (In book 9)
The Magicians (Finished)
Mistborn (Finished)
The Cycle of Arawn (Finished)
The Blade Itself (3 parts finished)
Game of Thrones (all that is out and will be finished...)
A knight of 7 kingdoms (Dunk and Egg 3 parts)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2173676 - 04/16/18 05:48 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Fantasy is about all I read anymore. I have so much in my kindle it's a wonder it hasn't exploded laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2173737 - 04/16/18 09:17 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Try Tad William' DragonBone Chair trilogy (watch out though if you buy the last book on Kindle on Amazon you only get part 2 of it. You can get both parts on iBooks. Also check that one if you buy in print format to make sure you are getting both parts.)

Maybe Kevin Hearne's the Iron Druid series? It's a little lighter than the above - think more urban fantasy than High Fantasy, which I think most of the ones you've listed fall into. And hey, if you're going into urban fantasy anyway - you must read Jim Butcher's Dresden series.

Return to Top
#2173738 - 04/16/18 09:18 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
ETA: there is another follow up trilogy to the Dragonbone books - they just came out in the last year or two.

Return to Top
#2173741 - 04/16/18 09:30 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
Frosh Offline
I've been meaning to try Scott Lynch's books - The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've heard great things.

Return to Top
#2173758 - 04/17/18 12:31 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Second vote for the Iron Druid and Dresden Files, with a mention of M.D. Massey's Junkyard Druid series. All are urban fantasy rather than high fantasy (which it appears is more your thing) but they are pretty entertaining.

Return to Top
#2173777 - 04/17/18 01:34 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
LiveFunLife Offline
Urban Fantasy? I am so far out of touch I don't know what that even means. I appreciate that as I am going to look it up today. I have heard of the Dresden Files so that will be on the list. Iron Druid I feel like Ive heard friends talk but I might as well throw it on the list. I am pretty much out of everything that I kept adding to my pile. Wheel of Time isn't finished but breaking up a 14 part series isn't the worst idea hahaha

Dragonbone I will look into as I am a sucker for books that keep going.

The Lies of Locke Lamora I think is on a few of the top 20 fantasy lists I have seen. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to check out.

The first trilogy I finished (to young to get through LOTR and understand more than half so it doesn't count) was the Iron Tower Trilogy. The book was not very popular and I think got poked at for being too much like the LOTR books but I absolutely loved it! It is fairly short so I would recommend it if you enjoy a small story. I also really liked Boulders Gate books that I could find as a youth.

Turns out I have a lot more reading to do hahahaha

Return to Top
#2173778 - 04/17/18 01:36 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
LiveFunLife Offline
RR Joker

Any top fantasy books you'd recommend?

Return to Top
#2173780 - 04/17/18 01:42 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Another high fantasy series that I read years ago is The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson. I thought they were great, but when I talk to other fantasy readers it seems to be one of those series that people either rave about or can't stand. Kind of the same way people feel about Gaiman and Martin.

Return to Top
#2173791 - 04/17/18 02:18 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London starting with Midnight Riot.

Mike Carey - The Devil You Know (1st of 5 books)

both well written and both include a lot of humor.

Return to Top
#2173822 - 04/17/18 04:33 PM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? LiveFunLife
OldeTymeBanker Offline
My husband reads fantasy lit. He gets a lot of it from Kindle Unlimited. Since I already see The Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones and The Dragonbone Chair series mentioned, I think he would throw in The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery,

Return to Top
#2173946 - 04/18/18 01:35 AM Re: Got the reading bug as of late. Fantasy anyone? Burgess
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By Burgess
Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London starting with Midnight Riot.

Oh yeah, these are great ( I audio-book those and the narrator has this great accent.....)

Adding Junkyard Druid to my to-read list!

Return to Top