Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2173830 - 04/17/18 04:54 PM Multiple Insurance Policies
George Offline
Gold Star
Have a unique situation where our customer is requesting to escrow both insurance and taxes for their loan. Problem is, there are multiple properties being taken as collateral; meaning there are different homeowner's policies with different expiration dates. Our system does not seem to allow us to add more than one homeowner's policy to the Initial Escrow Statement.

Is there anything in reg that prevents this from being allowed? Or, is there something in reg that would get us in trouble if we put one of the policies under Flood instead?

Return to Top
Escrows on Higher-Priced Mortgages
#2173833 - 04/17/18 04:58 PM Re: Multiple Insurance Policies George
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like a systems problem to me. Just because there are multiple properties involved in a Section 35 loan does not mean you have to escrow for all of them. Only first liens on a consumer's principal dwelling requires escrows.

Return to Top
#2173835 - 04/17/18 05:03 PM Re: Multiple Insurance Policies George
George Offline
Gold Star
Yes sir, these are just investment properties. But the customer is requesting escrow...so, if we can find some way to get our Initial Statement to show it, then it's OK to have both on there?

Return to Top
#2173842 - 04/17/18 05:19 PM Re: Multiple Insurance Policies George
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why would a bank want to voluntarily take on escrow liability? It will come down to, if you do, you need to do it right.

Return to Top
#2173877 - 04/17/18 06:58 PM Re: Multiple Insurance Policies George
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Yes sir, these are just investment properties. But the customer is requesting escrow...so, if we can find some way to get our Initial Statement to show it, then it's OK to have both on there?

Assuming this loan is a business purpose loan the escrow rules do not apply so there is no requirement under the regulation to provide an initial escrow statement or an annual statement.

How you set up the escrow for in-flow and out-flow is between you and your borrower and any system limitations.

Return to Top