Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2175256 - 04/25/18 08:40 PM POA agita
tacticalerror Offline
New Poster
Hi all! I want to apologize in advance if this is not in the correct forum-and I'll gladly move it to where it belongs if that's the case.

It's come to my attention from one of our branches that we have two different POA docs for the same account holder. They appoint two different agents (who happen to be siblings), but were done on the same day by the same attorney. I know, it makes no sense to me why they were not appointed on the same document and granted the ability to act separately, I can only guess there is some deep seated sibling rivalry going on there..... I'm not exactly sure what to do in this instance, we have nothing modifying or revoking either one of them. One of the POAs came to us in 2015, the other just a couple of months ago. Am I to assume that they are both valid since we've received no notification to the contrary? I certainly can't assume that one supersedes the other since they were executed simultaneously. Your thoughts appreciated!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2175259 - 04/25/18 08:45 PM Re: POA agita tacticalerror
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Given the potential risk for the bank to be dragged into the middle of a family dispute and the fact that laws very by state with respect to what document takes precedence, this is a matter to be discussed with bank counsel.

Welcome to BOL and I'm sorry that I can't give you more. We primarily cover consumer compliance and a myriad of operational discussions, but can't give legal advice.

Return to Top
#2175290 - 04/26/18 11:02 AM Re: POA agita tacticalerror
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hi Tactical,
Contact legal counsel ASAP. smile

Return to Top