Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2176009 - 05/01/18 02:04 PM cash witdrawal or negot instrument cashed?
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
CTR prep - would this be a cash withdrawal or a negotiable instrument cashed?
customer goes to the teller line and write a $15k on-us check payable to self and cashes it.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2176016 - 05/01/18 02:20 PM Re: cash witdrawal or negot instrument cashed? Burgess
BookWormGirl Offline
Upper Midwest
My instinct would be negotiable instrument cashed to account for the method of acquiring the funds, but it's also morning and I'm not even halfway through my first cup of coffee...

Return to Top
#2176020 - 05/01/18 02:25 PM Re: cash witdrawal or negot instrument cashed? Burgess
Midwest BSA Offline
I think the consensus of prior threads has been that it doesn't really matter, but be consistent. We typically consider it a withdrawal if the person is a signer on the account. If it's a business account and payable to one of the signers, we'll find out if it was for business purposes. If it was, I'll consider it a withdrawal. If it's for personal use, I consider it to be a negotiable instrument.

Right or wrong, no one has ever questioned it other than to inquire how we do things.

Return to Top
#2176055 - 05/01/18 03:39 PM Re: cash witdrawal or negot instrument cashed? Burgess
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Per slides used by a FinCEN speaker and the instructions for the last paper CTR, they want to know there is a piece of paper they can look at. Negotiable instrument cashed...

Return to Top
#2176056 - 05/01/18 03:42 PM Re: cash witdrawal or negot instrument cashed? Burgess
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
For almost as long as I can remember, if they signed a check (which is a negotiable instrument) you report it as a negotiable instrument cashed. If they signed a withdrawal slip, it's a withdrawal.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z