Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2142262 - 08/16/17 04:48 PM RESPA - Spousal Settlement Providers
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
I wanted to get a feel for what others are doing or what their opinion is on Loan Officer's that have settlement service providers, specifically realtors, as spouses. Do you prohibit an LO doing a loan with a borrower that is using the LO's spouse as their realtor? It would seem to be full of legal conflict of interest and RESPA issues, perhaps I am being overly conservative. Anybody have any experience with a Regulator opining on this topic?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2142266 - 08/16/17 05:22 PM Re: RESPA - Spousal Settlement Providers Compliance NABW
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Most Bank's code of conduct prohibit an employee to be involved in a transaction in which a themselves or where a closely related party is also involved.

Return to Top
#2142300 - 08/16/17 07:07 PM Re: RESPA - Spousal Settlement Providers Compliance NABW
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
True, from what I understand. Let's say that was not the case though. Do you feel there are RESPA issues involved?

Return to Top
#2178219 - 05/15/18 06:57 PM Re: RESPA - Spousal Settlement Providers Compliance NABW
Vive Accommodare Offline
Platinum Poster
Vive Accommodare
Compliance
I wanted to revive this post. It seems we are running into this issue and unfortunately as of now, our Code of Conduct doesn't directly address this issue. I've researched and feel it would be a violation under RESPA, but I've been told a time or two that my interpretations are conservative. Does anyone else have a thought to weigh in?

Return to Top
#2178233 - 05/15/18 07:57 PM Re: RESPA - Spousal Settlement Providers Compliance NABW
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
It's hard to say without knowing greater details. The violation, if there is one, is going to be in the details of what is passing between the parties.

A lot of these RESPA Section 8 situations are cloudy and boils down to the risk appetite. Given your concern is it worth the risk of a violation and how much time and effort do you want to extend trying to manage the relationship.

If they are dealing with FHA loans it would likely be prohibited outright.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z