Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2178810 - 05/18/18 07:19 PM Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
We had a young man dispute several Uber/Lyft and local Chick-Fil-A charges. Issued credit and ordered new card about 8 weeks ago. His sister came in a few days and filed disputes on Uber charges done at the same time as his. She visits Chick-Fil-A often (the same one he disputed) but she doesn't dispute those. I spoke to her and asked some questions (unaware she was related to the young man) about her transactions and some other transactions on her account. She told me that "my brother filed a dispute and got the money right away). Red flag to me. They are 19 and 21 years old. I feel that they are gaming us. I'll deal with her dispute in an appropriate manner, but she's not getting a new card. I also want to revoke his. Do I have to give him any notice that I am revoking the card, or can I revoke it and send him a letter telling him that it has been revoked? All of the disputed items the brother had were under $18 so we didn't dispute them through our processor, therefore I have no evidence that he was involved with the transactions, but the preponderance of evidence suggests he was. Same with her charges.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2178812 - 05/18/18 07:27 PM Re: Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement Valley girl
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
No advance notice needed. See commentary to 1005.8(a).

2. Changes not requiring notice. The following changes do not require disclosure:

i. Closing some of an institution's ATMs;

ii. Cancellation of an access device.

Return to Top
#2178817 - 05/18/18 07:38 PM Re: Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement Valley girl
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Thank you Brian! Reg E on Friday should be illegal. She is a customer service rep in a fraud department, so I want to be done with them.

Return to Top
#2178856 - 05/18/18 10:20 PM Re: Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement Valley girl
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I'd bet if you look at your cards they say they are the property of the bank. That reinforces the ability Brian mentioned.

I would urge you to ensure management is informed of the decisioning process when the bank refuses to reissue. I think it's a smart move, but you want to be on the offensive if there is a complaint made and accounts closed. This is where Compliance and Marketing can play Rock em Sock em Robots.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2178929 - 05/21/18 04:31 PM Re: Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement Valley girl
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Thank you Andy Z. Yes, I always inform management of my findings and decisions. One of the siblings in this case works in fraud department of a 3rd party processor for BofA. I'm going to be very careful.

Return to Top
#2182505 - 06/20/18 08:57 PM Re: Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement Valley girl
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
I would be closing both of their accounts, not just revoking their cards.

Return to Top
#2182584 - 06/21/18 03:02 PM Re: Revoke Debit Card Based on Probable Involvement Valley girl
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Would that I could. I am a CU and our by-laws require a meeting of the membership to expel someone. Normally they go away when you make all services but over the counter transactions a reality. The mom of these two (who is joint on both accounts) came in and was less than pleased over our decision to revoke and not reissue. We explained that these transactions were disputed months after they occurred and we were revoking due to the loss caused by the untimely review of their accounts. As a side note, the daughter had listed on her dispute form a Red Box charge for $75. I had denied the dispute on this particular charge seeing that she had previous charges with Red Box including one that would have caused a purchase of the product if not returned timely. I saw that she did eventually receive credit from Red Box, so I was correct in my assumption.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z