Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2180837 - 06/06/18 11:44 AM Movers guidance
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
We're in process of moving and have come down to the task of finding a mover. The move will be interstate, a little over 400 miles and about a 7 hour drive.

Most of the light and fragile things are already there, and the heavier furniture is left.

Any recommendations on moving companies? or
What are the key questions we should we be asking besides price?

Thanks

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2180838 - 06/06/18 11:52 AM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
http://www.mazdamovers.com/

just get extra insurance for tree damage.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2180842 - 06/06/18 12:10 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Thanks ed. It would probably take extensive renovations to get a forklift into the kitchen though.

Return to Top
#2180847 - 06/06/18 12:52 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Make sure they are bonded and insured, Rocky.

Return to Top
#2180848 - 06/06/18 12:57 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By Rocky P
Thanks ed. It would probably take extensive renovations to get a forklift into the kitchen though.

if it is a Mazda just hit the gas and it should be in a few seconds.

After it is out that may cost a few bucks.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2180856 - 06/06/18 01:38 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
And read reviews, check BBB, etc. I would NOT recommend Graebel (if they are even still in business.) I was not impressed.

Return to Top
#2180861 - 06/06/18 02:20 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I'm unsure of their footprint, but Berger Allied in our area (twin cities) is top notch. I would hire them again without hesitation.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2180893 - 06/06/18 04:21 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Cyndi12, CRCM Offline
Houston, TX
I suggest making sure you are dealing with the actual company that will be moving your furniture and not some brokerage "moving" company. I made that mistake. And it cost me dearly. Google whichever company you decide to use and read the reviews. It's very telling what you will learn. Make sure you deal directly with the actual company that will be handling your move.

Stay away from Colonial Van Lines/ Weststar Relocation, Inc and Relo Van Lines. They are moving brokers and not an actual moving company. They broker the deals out to multiple moving companies, and so you never know who or what will be showing up at your door. Before pickup, make sure you get a final quote, and the contract states the price won't change if the load weighs more than the original quoted weight. A friend agreed to meet the movers since I was already in my new location. My friend signed the contract the movers presented at the time of pickup, they told my friend they had spoken to me, and I had agreed with everything as stated in the contract. I did talk to the movers and specifically asked that the weight initially agreed was correct, they said it was. I didn't want them to load my furniture until I knew the everything was ok and that the price wasn't going to change. After signing on my behalf, they told my friend I instructed them to email me the final signed contract. Not true. They ended up altering the amount owed after they had my stuff and refused to deliver my furniture until I agreed to pay the inflated price (almost 3x more). I didn't know about the increase until I received a call regarding the delivery time. At this time, I was informed they would only accept cash or the delivery wouldn't happen until I agreed to their price. The moving industry is not regulated, so you need to do your homework. After this experience, I will never use another moving company but rent a truck and hire individuals to load and unload the truck. It's a lot cheaper and I don't have to worry about any surprises.

Return to Top
#2180907 - 06/06/18 05:15 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
It might be a good idea to take "before" pictures of furniture and fragile items in case there is any damage during the move.

Return to Top
#2180989 - 06/07/18 01:00 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My Sister and BIL use PODS. They've had no bad experiences that I'm aware of.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2181049 - 06/07/18 06:44 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Thank everyone for the advice.
We had Graebel on a relo. I wanted to raise heck with HR for their choice, but one of holding company Directors was the owner of the local franchise.
Cyndi, thanks for sharing your experience. We are hoping to avoid that.

Return to Top
#2181180 - 06/08/18 08:36 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
When my wife moved from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania, we rented a Penske truck, loaded it up, put her car on a trailer on the back of the truck, and her father and I drove the 1,200 miles in two days.

Two lessons learned -

Take the Turnpike Pass sensor out of the window of the car before towing it on the toll roads.

Do not try to move an 11 year old cat 1,200 miles in the cab of a rental truck cry (RIP Murray).

Return to Top
#2181186 - 06/08/18 08:50 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Did anyone ask yet? Where ya goin?

CRCM

Return to Top
#2181203 - 06/09/18 12:13 AM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Not yet Norm, but we're moving from South Carolina to Ocala, Florida. "Lets do a smart thing honey and move to Florida at the beginning of the summer and hurricane season."

It's too hot here during the summers, and we're going to Florida to cool off - seriously. Also, less maintenance, more activities and early bird and senior specials.

Return to Top
#2181245 - 06/11/18 03:03 PM Re: Movers guidance Rocky P
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Good for you. Enjoy it.

CRCM

Return to Top