Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2181535 - 06/13/18 12:08 PM Beneficial owner - Commercial Loan
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
Good Morning,
I believe I know the answer to this question but wanted to get everyone's opinion......we have a meeting with a non profit for a potential commercial loan....as there is no beneficial owner, for a deposit relationship we would obtain the controlling prong information......in your opinion, would this would be the same for the loan agreement as well, that we collect and certify controlling prong information only?
Thanks in advance!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2181540 - 06/13/18 12:29 PM Re: Beneficial owner - Commercial Loan SmallBankBSA
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Yes. An "account" includes both deposit and loan accounts.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2181566 - 06/13/18 02:31 PM Re: Beneficial owner - Commercial Loan SmallBankBSA
McFly Offline
Yes - same rules apply. Only control prong necessary.

Return to Top
#2181765 - 06/14/18 01:57 PM Re: Beneficial owner - Commercial Loan SmallBankBSA
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A loan is an "account." The primary issue is whether the applicant is a "legal entity customer," not whether it is for profit or non profit.

If it's a corporation or other entity whose existence depends on a secretary of state(SOS) filing, the regulation applies. If it is registered with the SOS as a non profit entity, then you only need the information on the individual named under the control prong.

If the customer is not a legal entity; e.g. it's an unincorporated association (a made up term in most states) or just a gathering of like-minded people, it does not make any difference whether there is a profit motive or not, the regulation simply does not apply.

FinCEN went out of its way to exclude consideration of income tax status, but bankers keep insisting on dragging the issue into the equation.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z