Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2182989 - 06/25/18 05:18 PM Wire and Cashier's Checks
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
Customer brought in a Cashier's Check for $10,000 from her "sister" who lives several states away. She wants to cash it and wire half of it to a cousin several more states away. We called the bank and the check is a valid account number. She deposited it in her savings account for two weeks. She now wants to come in and wire part of the funds out. We talked with her about this being a scan but she says it's her business and it is not a scam.

Is there anything we should be doing? File SAR?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2183136 - 06/26/18 02:32 PM Re: Wire and Cashier's Checks Susielou
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Do you believe the activity is suspicious?

Return to Top
#2183139 - 06/26/18 03:02 PM Re: Wire and Cashier's Checks Susielou
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
Yes. She has been scammed before. She is very private about her affairs, which isn't bad in itself, but she doesn't want to talk about it.

Return to Top
#2183174 - 06/26/18 04:59 PM Re: Wire and Cashier's Checks Susielou
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By Susielou

Is there anything we should be doing? File SAR?

If you can't get comfortable with the activity on her account, you can always exit the relationship in addition to filing the SAR. Not that you necessary want to but it is an option.

Return to Top
#2183211 - 06/26/18 07:32 PM Re: Wire and Cashier's Checks Susielou
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And you don't have to wire the funds. You are not required to become a part of the scheme if that's what this turns out to be.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2183217 - 06/26/18 07:52 PM Re: Wire and Cashier's Checks Susielou
HereToLearn Offline
New Poster
I have struggled with this as well. Our customer has wired funds to a "niece" and a "nephew" in Jamaica. I feel certain it is a scam ,however, she insisted she wanted to wire the money so my bosses told me to do so. My bosses did not want to anger a customer whose family has been with us for 40 years, and they believe although she is an elder lady that she is very clear headed. I disagree.

Return to Top
#2183318 - 06/27/18 04:17 PM Re: Wire and Cashier's Checks Susielou
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We have refused wires on several occasions because we know our customer is getting scammed even if they don't believe they are. I refuse to leave the Bank at risk for the customer to come back once they realize it and say "why did you let me wire the money". I tell them they're welcome to withdraw cash and go to Western Union. Not happening on my watch. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z