Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2184728 - 07/10/18 03:37 PM Current Employment on Social Media
Cracked Egg Offline
Kentucky
Is there a reason an employee can not identify where they work (ie bank) on a social media platform?
I'm not talking typing in: "Come by ABC Bank and see me for a great loan rate."
But specifically using the social media engine to fill out employment information.
I have recently been told this is against recent regulations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2184747 - 07/10/18 04:06 PM Re: Current Employment on Social Media Cracked Egg
hatman Offline
Not familiar with a regulation but for me, I believe it to be a security issue. Strangers see where you work, see pictures of your kids, find a home address, etc. Maybe I watch too much TV but I don't think it's a good idea when it could put you or your family at risk. Your friends already know where you work.

Return to Top
#2184775 - 07/10/18 05:19 PM Re: Current Employment on Social Media Cracked Egg
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you also run the risk of the employee posting something that someone else takes offense to, and blasting to the world "XYZ Bank employees this person who is (insert whatever here)..."

but there is no regulation i am aware of that prevents a bank employee from putting down where they work.

Return to Top
#2184777 - 07/10/18 05:22 PM Re: Current Employment on Social Media Cracked Egg
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Isn't this the business model of LinkedIn? Besides security issues, you should also be concerned about branding. I can't imagine any FI trying to prevent or police their employees from stating who their employer is on the various social media platforms. However, if an employee was to post a picture, make a statement, like/up vote/agree within something racist/sexist/politically insensitive you better be ready to respond to wrath of the internet in a timely manner.

Return to Top
#2184829 - 07/10/18 09:10 PM Re: Current Employment on Social Media Cracked Egg
Cracked Egg Offline
Kentucky
Thank you for the statements. I agree that it could be viewed as a risk for the employee. And also viewed as a risk for the bank if the employee makes derogatory statements and people associate them with the bank. But I can't find any regulation that prohibits it.

We have been told that it is alright to state where you work on LinkedIn but only if you put "Member FDIC" after the bank name.
I have not gotten an answer on my side as to which regulation they are referring, but it sounds like there is concern using the bank's name would constitute some sort of advertising.

The only thing I can come up with is Part 328.3(c) states ....For purposes of this § 328.3, an advertisement promotes non-specific banking products and services if it includes the name of the insured depository institution but does not list or describe particular products or services offered by the institution. An example of such an advertisement would be, "Anytown Bank, offering a full range of banking services."

I'm hopeful I will get some more information tomorrow. Let me know if you have any additional thoughts.
Thanks again for the help.

Return to Top
#2184929 - 07/11/18 05:50 PM Re: Current Employment on Social Media Cracked Egg
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
"We have been told that it is alright to state where you work on LinkedIn but only if you put "Member FDIC" after the bank name. "

not sure who told you this, but thank you for making me laugh today, i needed it. stating where you work on a social media site does not, in any way, constitute advertising, direct or indirect. for example

Happy Gilmore -- Big Time Bank
Happy Gilmore -- Big Time bank, call me for your banking needs

1st is not advertising, 2nd is...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry