Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2175373 - 04/26/18 04:53 PM Property Value & CLTV
DMSESQ Offline
New Poster
If a commercial loan is secured by multiple properties, should we aggregate all the property values for purposes of determining LTV? If so, in the case where I've satisfied HMDA purpose and secured by a dwelling, what do I do if I have multiple collaterals that may or may not be dwellings (i.e. land) OR even more, what if the properties taken as additional collateral are in 2nd/4rd/4th lien position?

...asking for a friend

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2175396 - 04/26/18 05:47 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
You don't report LTV you report combined loan to value (CLTV) so yes, you would aggregate the value of all collateral securing the loan.

Return to Top
#2175415 - 04/26/18 06:27 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You would calculate the CLTV and report the value based on the value of the property or properties used in the credit decision.

If the loan is secured by 10 properties but you only use the value for 5 of the properties to make the loan decision then your CLTV and property value would be based on those 5 properties.

For this reporting requirement property refers to both real and personal property. So if an RV is securing the loan and the value of the RV was used in the loan decision then its value is combined with the other property values used in the decision.

Return to Top
#2175652 - 04/27/18 06:33 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV Dan Persfull
DMSESQ Offline
New Poster
Thanks!

Return to Top
#2176022 - 05/01/18 02:35 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I think I've finally got one where the CLTV is going to be NA, but would appreciate a second opinion.

Loan is secured by 4 properties. Credit memo states that "the listed LTV is only for property A, as the other 3 do not have current values and there is some debate over which real estate goes with the mobile homes."

That looks to me like another way of saying 'we didn't calculate a CLTV.' Agree? Disagree?

Afterthought: Would this mean that the property value should also be NA as we do not have values in file for all of the collateral?
Last edited by RR Becca; 05/01/18 02:47 PM.

Return to Top
#2176024 - 05/01/18 02:47 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Credit memo states that "the listed LTV is only for property A"

It would be my opinion the CLTV is based on property A and that is what you report.

6. Property. A financial institution reports the combined loan-to-value ratio relied on in making the credit decision, regardless of which property or properties it used in the combined loan-to-value ratio calculation . . . .

Return to Top
#2176029 - 05/01/18 02:54 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Thanks, Dan, that makes perfect sense.

One little twist, though: Property A is not a dwelling, it's a laundromat. The other three properties are rental mobile homes with land. Since I do not have good values in file for the 3 dwellings, what do I use for the reported Property Value? Still just the laundromat?

Return to Top
#2176033 - 05/01/18 02:59 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the laundromat's value is what was used then that is what you would report.

Return to Top
#2176036 - 05/01/18 03:05 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
It seems so simple when you say it like that. grin

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2183071 - 06/25/18 09:28 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
okcowgirl Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
I have two properties securing a commercial loan, one is a rental home valued at 70,000 and the second is a non dwelling commercial building valued at 250,000, Both properties are used for the CLTV.

I read somewhere for the property value - "if mixed collateral, dwelling and non-dwelling, only show the value of the HMDA reportable dwelling(s)"; that would by the 70,000. If I do that Questsoft does not calculate the CLTV correctly.

Would I report property value as 320,000 (include both dwelling and non dwelling) and CLTV as 78.125?

Thank you.

Return to Top
#2183076 - 06/25/18 09:45 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I have two properties securing a commercial loan,

What is the purpose of this commercial loan?

Return to Top
#2183097 - 06/26/18 12:24 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Ypu use the total value considered...even if it includes a backhoe.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2183100 - 06/26/18 12:37 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
"if mixed collateral, dwelling and non-dwelling, only show the value of the HMDA reportable dwelling(s)"

The person making this comment is wrong.

As RRJ stated you report the value of all collateral used in the determination.

Return to Top
#2183147 - 06/26/18 03:30 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
okcowgirl Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
Thank you for your help. Would this statement be correct for property value?

Abundance of Caution - If something was taken as an abundance of caution and it had nothing to do with the credit decision, do not include.
Last edited by okcowgirl; 06/26/18 03:34 PM.
Return to Top
#2183152 - 06/26/18 03:58 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you are including a value for an abundance of caution property in the determination then the property is not a true abundance of caution property.

Return to Top
#2183167 - 06/26/18 04:45 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
This is an interesting question. We reached out to the CFPB on whether non-real property should be used in both LTV and CLTV. They told us "yes" for both. The Iowa Bankers Assoc (IBA) - people I trust that are very knowledgeable on the new HMDA rules - published in their March 2018 Disclosure magazine a Q&A that indicated CLTV includes all collateral, but LTV is to include only real property. I called and talked to one their compliance experts. She & I both sent an email to HMDA Help to verify what we knew. Both of us received confirmations from the CFPB (phone calls) that indicated we were right. In other words, I was told LTV should include all collateral (real property or not) and the IBA received was told LTV should only include real property.

I taught HMDA at this week's ABA Compliance Conference and brought up this issue. I stressed that we have to have concrete guidance, in writing, on these types of issues. There were CFPB representatives in the audience. A few of them approached me and said they would take my message "up" and hoped (but couldn't promise) we could get clarity on this.

Return to Top
#2183175 - 06/26/18 05:05 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'll give you my assessment of that subject.

CLTV only comes into play when you have multiple collateral or multiple loans secured by property securing the reportable loan. The collateral could be real and non real property. LTV only comes into play for a single piece of collateral /single loan and if HMDA reportable, it stands to reason, this would be real property [or a MH/MH land]. But only one. There's nothing to 'combine' wink

ETA: Another thought. LTV doesn't even have it's own data point. Only CLTV which may be 1 or 50 pieces of collateral. I feel like they used both terms to cover single situations vs multiples.

ETA: It definitely covers non-real collateral as they use the example of 'securities' in the GIR.
Last edited by RR Joker; 06/26/18 05:19 PM. Reason: keep losing stuff during edit

Return to Top
#2183176 - 06/26/18 05:07 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Can't CLTV come into play if there are multiple LOANS secured by the same property/properties?

ETA: no longer relevant after Joker's edit.
Last edited by raitchjay; 06/26/18 05:21 PM.

Return to Top
#2183177 - 06/26/18 05:18 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Get out of my head, RJ laugh!

Return to Top
#2184985 - 07/11/18 07:11 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
PCBDebbie, CRCM Offline
100 Club
Our commercial loan write up reads "minimum property value of $XX needed" for a CLTV of XX%.
it is up to the commercial lenders to verify that the appraisal meets this minimum value otherwise, the file gets returned to the credit analyst for restructure.

My question is do we report the "minimum value of $XX and the correlating CLTV or do we use the actual appraised value for non purchase money loans (purchase money we always use the sale price)?

Return to Top
#2184987 - 07/11/18 07:14 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I don't think one size fits all. What did they use to underwrite. That's what you report.

For instance, we don't 'always use the sales price' on a sale. We do for regulatory LTV purposes, but if the value exceeds the SP, we may underwrite based on the value. To each his own! wink

From what you've stated, it sounds like they are making a decision based on a minimum amount needed and is likely what will be reported unless that figure is adjusted once the actual value comes in.

Return to Top
#2185009 - 07/11/18 07:48 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
PCBDebbie, CRCM Offline
100 Club
Thank you. That helps a lot.

Return to Top
#2186622 - 07/24/18 04:47 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Antilles Offline
100 Club
Antilles
Southern US
Do we count the non residential dwellings (such as land or commercial buildings) in the unit count?

Return to Top
#2186627 - 07/24/18 05:15 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
No. (BTW, 'non-residential dwellings' is not what you meant to type i think.)

Return to Top
#2221643 - 09/16/19 05:46 PM Re: Property Value & CLTV DMSESQ
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
LO is getting ready to do a purchase loan for an 8-unit apartment complex. Purchase price is $200,000 but loan amount is $300,000 to fund improvements. LO is taking a junior mortgage on a 12-unit apartment complex that is already cross-collateralized on 8 different loans here. That apartment complex is valued at $500,000 but like i said it is crossed on other loans. How in the world do you calculate CLTV on our new loan? Just have the LO write down the property value and CLTV he is using to approve the loan?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2