Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#2185546 - 07/16/18 08:03 PM Right to 7 days notice of withdrawal
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Is the following correct? -

The reservation of right to 7 days notice is a requirement for savings, MMDA and NOW accounts. It can also be a right reserved on interest bearing checking accounts that are not NOW accounts.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2185547 - 07/16/18 08:09 PM Re: Right to 7 days notice of withdrawal Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A demand deposit is a demand deposit. If you reserve a 7 day right of withdrawal, you turn a checking account into a NOW account.

Return to Top
#2185550 - 07/16/18 08:26 PM Re: Right to 7 days notice of withdrawal Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Is it acceptable to to that? Do you also mean that these accounts would be subject to the same eligibility requirements of a NOW account? Which shouldn't be a problem because these are personal accounts for individuals.

Return to Top
#2185614 - 07/17/18 02:19 PM Re: Right to 7 days notice of withdrawal Likes to Comply
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By rlcarey
A demand deposit is a demand deposit. If you reserve a 7 day right of withdrawal, you turn a checking account into a NOW account.

Randy, I was under the impression that requiring 7 days interest didn't automatically turn it into a NOW account.

"(2) The term demand deposit also means deposits or accounts on which the depository institution has reserved the right to require at least seven days' written notice prior to withdrawal or transfer of any funds in the account and from which the depositor is authorized to make withdrawals or transfers in excess of the withdrawal or transfer limitations specified in paragraph (d)(2) of this section for such an account and the account is not a NOW account, or an ATS account or other account that meets the criteria specified in either paragraph (b)(3)(ii) or (iii) of this section.

Thoughts?

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2185791 - 07/18/18 08:25 AM Re: Right to 7 days notice of withdrawal Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Adam - Interesting question - I guess I was going on memory and did not pull up the definition. Although, I am a little unsure as to what this really means. It does not square well with 204.2(b)(3).

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett