BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2185608 - 07/17/18 01:58 PM Tablet Advice
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
For my techy BOLers--

We are wanting to upgrade our tablet we have at home. The one we have is more for reading than game apps for kids. Our daughter will be 5 next month and will start Kindergarten so we are getting to the point where she wants to play some learning games. What do you think for a good tablet? Ipad? Kindle Fire?

Thanks!
Last edited by ahkcompliance; 07/17/18 02:01 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2185613 - 07/17/18 02:16 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I just replaced my trusty Nexus 7 tablet that I have had for years with a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" and I really like it. It has a micro SD slot that makes it easy to add tons of storage for music, books, and movies when traveling. There are also a lot of case/cover options for it, so you would be able to find one suitable for a 5 year old. The price of the tablet is great (about $150 on Amazon).

Return to Top
#2185616 - 07/17/18 02:27 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Verizon Ellipses

Return to Top
#2185623 - 07/17/18 02:38 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Since it is Prime Day, the Fire Tablets are on sale. I've never used one, but hear they are pretty good.

Return to Top
#2185631 - 07/17/18 03:01 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I personally like the iPad. Ours is a bit old, but still works great. My kids (9 and 4) use them easily, and my 9 year old works it better than I. I also have a Kindle Fie. It's great for reading and runs many of the apps as well, but is used almost exclusively for reading. The few apps we have on it work fine, but really just isn't used for it - so I can't really say much about that aspect.

Return to Top
#2185636 - 07/17/18 03:06 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks for all the input so far!

Return to Top
#2185637 - 07/17/18 03:06 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
ipad...yet to find a product works as well as an apple product (sorry all you android lovers)

Return to Top
#2185643 - 07/17/18 03:46 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
OldeTymeBanker Offline
For years I had a Kindle Fire and my husband had iPad. I still use my Kindle for reading, but web browsing, email, games, etc. are soooo much better on the iPad, and I finally got one for Christmas.

Return to Top
#2185645 - 07/17/18 03:48 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I still like Big Chief tablets.

Return to Top
#2185646 - 07/17/18 03:50 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
laugh

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2185657 - 07/17/18 04:24 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
We have iPads, Kindle Fire, and Surface. I think either the iPad or the Kindle Fire are good choices (just get a good case on it!!) Kindle Fire is on sale today as previously mentioned, and I think they have more parental control options, if you're interested in that. Also, the Kindle in Motion books are just too cool. IPad is more widely known, more apps, and maybe more user-friendly.

Return to Top
#2185698 - 07/17/18 06:13 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I'm on my 5th iPad. Can't imagine going without it. I have friends that have other tablets, but none compare to the iPad (in my opinion). As EEGB sates, more apps, more user friendly. I also have an iPhone, so the syncing of data is something I wouldn't trade. I bought a case with a keyboard for my last one and they work together very well. I tried the new pen, but don't use it much. Your daughter may with many learning games utilizing this feature.

Return to Top
#2185719 - 07/17/18 06:54 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Pale has told me several times that the best advice for a tablet is a sharp chisel.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2185734 - 07/17/18 07:29 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I know Appleâ„¢ has this huge following which I don't understand. I'm not saying the people who love their products are wrong, I just don't share the enthusiasm. My limited experience with their products up to this point has not been positive and so it would be hard for me to pay the premium price for that kind of experience personally. With that said, I will be receiving a new laptop at work and it will be a Mac, so I will definitely be going through a bit of a learning curve once it arrives. Perhaps I can be swayed, we'll have to wait and see.....

Return to Top
#2185769 - 07/17/18 08:34 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks for all the input. We do have iPhones. I can't say I really have a preference for Android or iPhone as we have used both. We have just stayed with iPhones. Looks like we will go with the iPad most likely.

Return to Top
#2185771 - 07/17/18 08:38 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I have had about five kindles over the years and loved each one of them. I love to read. I just ordered the 8th generation of the Kindle Fire HD from Amazon yesterday on Prime day and got a wonderful price. I have a 7th generation and love it too. The only phone that I want to have is my IPhone. I just upgraded to the 8 plus and I love it.

Return to Top
#2185790 - 07/18/18 02:36 AM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Like others have mentioned, if you are happy with the operating system on your phones, get a tablet with a similar operating system. That way, going between devices will almost be transparent. My wife got a iPad for Christmas. It took less than 5 minutes to set it up completely and transfer all of the contacts and other information over. It operates virtually as a big iPhone so there was no learning curve.

Return to Top
#2185944 - 07/18/18 06:47 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
I love my iPad!

Return to Top
#2185947 - 07/18/18 06:52 PM Re: Tablet Advice ahkcompliance
Reg Warrior Offline
100 Club
I also love my iPad! I have the Kindle App as my local library use that format for ebooks and most fee books on the internet come in the kindle format.

Return to Top