Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2185258 - 07/13/18 12:52 PM Motor Vehicle Title Fees
sra724 Offline
Can we increase our motor vehicle title fee to a flat fee? It could mean that some are charged more than was actually spent.
The idea being that regardless of the situation and customer request we would not lose money in this area. We are considering a flat fee that is the same for consumer and commercial vehicle loans.
Thanks!!

Return to Top
#2185403 - 07/14/18 07:06 AM Re: Motor Vehicle Title Fees sra724
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Allowable fees on a loan is a matter of State law. On consumer loans, any amount collected over what is actually paid to the government for recording the lien is going to be a prepaid finance charge.

Return to Top
#2185761 - 07/17/18 08:00 PM Re: Motor Vehicle Title Fees rlcarey
sra724 Offline
Thank you.

Return to Top
#2185888 - 07/18/18 04:43 PM Re: Motor Vehicle Title Fees rlcarey
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By rlcarey
Allowable fees on a loan is a matter of State law.
I would imagine that's why the poster posted this in a state-specific forum.

I'm not aware of any restriction in Georgia law on you charging a fee over what is actually paid to the state for title application, but as Randy says that increased amount would be a prepaid finance charge and would impact your APR (and MAPR if the borrower is a covered person under MLA). Also, you may want to be careful in how you label that fee so as to not get into a "deceptive" issue.

Return to Top