Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2185818 - 07/18/18 01:50 PM AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code?
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
We ran an AUS on a file through GUS (Guaranteed Underwriting System). The result is "accept/eligible" (NOT 'approve/eligible').

The FIG shows that for a GUS, we can use the result codes of 5,8,10,13,14,15,16 (per the FIG starting on page 88 for AUS in 3(d)).
Here's the link to the FIG https://www.consumerfinance.gov/data-research/hmda/static/for-filers/2018/2018-hmda-fig.pdf.

NONE of those options show "accept/eligible". Code #8 shows "accept", which is what we are going to report for now.
Code #16 shows "other", and then in section 4 of the FIG in the AUS part is says we use code 16 in the AUS result field to enter a specific AUS result 'not listed above'. So the alternative, I think, would be to report code #16 and type in "accept/eligible".

Has anyone ran into this, or have any thoughts on it?

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2185823 - 07/18/18 02:17 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm using 8 in QuestSoft and it's clearing the error nicely.

Return to Top
#2186443 - 07/23/18 04:11 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
@ Truffle, we initially reported like you did with code 8. However, today the CFPB returned our inquiry (via PHONE, of course), and directed us today to use code 16 "Other" and type in "Accept/Eligible".

Just wanted to share what we were told.
You might want to contact the CFPB to see what they say...or just wait until you get a HMDA exam for someone else's take on the matter smile

Return to Top
#2186456 - 07/23/18 04:49 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
That seems to be a contradiction to the FIG.

Page 89 of the FIG for instructions regarding which codes apply to which AUS systems:

a. Use Code 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 15 for the AUS result returned by the AUS of the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae).

b. Use Code 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 for the AUS result returned by the AUS of the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac).

c. Use Codes 8 or 13 for the AUS result returned by FHA TOTAL Scorecard.

d. Use Code 5, 8 13, 14, 15, or 16 for the AUS result returned by GUS.

e. Use Code 17 if the requirement to report an AUS result does not apply to the covered loan or application that your institution is reporting. Leave the remaining Automated Underwriting System Result data fields blank.

Return to Top
#2186459 - 07/23/18 04:54 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Code 8 only says "Accept". Doesn't say "accept/eligible". (Similarly code 14 only says "Eligible", showing the results are picky.)

Return to Top
#2186477 - 07/23/18 05:23 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The CFPB is currently advising financial institutions that inquire that they updated the FIG to allow use of Code 16 for GUS for these situations when the specific response is not listed in the other codes.

It would seem to have made sense to have all possible code combinations accounted for when instructions were first issued.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2186480 - 07/23/18 05:29 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Thanks Kathleen - yes definitely would have made sense haha.

Return to Top
#2186511 - 07/23/18 07:22 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Kathleen O. Blanchard
ComplianceRegs Offline
100 Club
So Kathleen I want to try to take your comment and apply it to my statement below from another thread. The instruction you have received on the scenario below is to instead use only code 16 and type Accept/Eligible, correct?

Nope. It is either (4-GUS & 8-Accept) or (4-GUS/8-Accept & 4-GUS/14-Eligible). I tend to lean with WreckEm Tech and report the two AUS and two Results.

Return to Top
#2186591 - 07/24/18 02:56 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
What other thread, ComplianceRegs? And are you saying that you're going to report GUS twice even though you only pulled it once? I'm even more confused now.

Return to Top
#2186593 - 07/24/18 03:01 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
ComplianceRegs Offline
100 Club
I posed the same question in a thread titled "AUS Results Question." Not trying to repost it is just that it is relevant to what Kathleen shared.

Yes, that was my opinion originally. You run GUS once and it comes back with a Accept/Eligibile. It would either be a 4-GUS & 8-Accept or 4-GUS/8-Accept & 4-GUS/14-Eligible. Neither seemed like a good option. I believe Kathleen is instead saying you would report 16 and free form type Accept/Eligible. Just trying to confirm.

Return to Top
#2186594 - 07/24/18 03:07 PM Re: AUS is GUS 'accept/eligible', which code? Banker K, CRCM
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Yes that is what the CFPB advised us above.

Return to Top