Learn More - Click Here!

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Thread Options
#2190722 - 08/27/18 07:12 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning raitchjay
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
Many moons ago I was there on Memorial Day weekend, and there was this white fluffy stuff falling from the sky......
I was there in 1988, when the white stuff falling from the sky was ash from the fire that nearly took down Old Faithful Inn and eventually burned nearly 800,000 acres of the park. I was there for a backpacking trip. We ended up heading north to Sun Valley, Idaho and packed into the Sawtooth wilderness area.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2190728 - 08/27/18 07:22 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Skittles.....And you said "Jackson Hole", which is the area. Take a side trip into Jackson....which is the town. It has been a few years, but I recall it being kinda quaint and a fun place. They had "old west" shoot outs staged on the street.....don't know if they still do that. Shopping was fun. Don't miss Grand Teton National Park on the way into Yellowstone. Well...silly me.....you CAN'T miss it. It is unavoidable and breathtakingly beautiful. Allow several days to see all of Yellowstone National Park. It's BIG! And there is a variety of different things to see....Upper and Lower Falls, Geyser Basin, Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone Lake, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, etc, etc, etc,. Make sure you venture into Old Faithful Inn. It is amazing. I looked into getting a room there a while back but the price was upwards of $500 per night.....nope. Out the northeast side of the park at Cody, WY, there is an awesome museum....Buffalo Bill Cody and a bunch of other fun stuff.

Return to Top
#2190740 - 08/27/18 08:22 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning Skittles
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By Skittles
I have a question for the group. If we wanted to go to Jackson Hole, WY and Yellowstone - what would be the best time of year? Thinking about planning something for next year - if we can find dog sitters that is. Both my husband and I would love to go to that part of the country - or Estes Park, CO.

Skittles - I've never been to Yellowstone but a friend was there at the end of June. She said there were so many people that they couldn't even find a parking spot to see some of the attractions...Old Faithful being one of them. I would think May or September would be good times to miss the crowds.

Return to Top
#2190752 - 08/27/18 09:11 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I live a few hours away from Yellowstone and went this summer. If you go in May, you could very well still have snow on the ground and sub-freezing temps in the morning. September would be better, but make sure to bring heavier clothing than you think you will need. When looking for lodging, I would suggest Island Park, ID. It's about a 20 minute drive from Yellowstone.

Return to Top
#2190775 - 08/28/18 12:12 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
We went in late May two years ago. Had snow flurries on our first day, but nothing sticking. After that it was gorgeous weather all week. There was still snow on the mountains, but none where we were. We stayed at a horse ranch in West Yellowstone that included horseback riding all week, and all meals. We took several day trips into Yellowstone and down to Grand Tetons. Fabulous trip!

Return to Top
#2190797 - 08/28/18 01:44 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning RVFlyboy
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Yep.....it's a very busy place......visited by people from all over the world. The stats I looked at indicate that America's national park system is visited by about 331 million people annually...that's the population of the United States! It also said that the absolute busiest month is July. The busiest, most visited parks are:

Great Smoky Mountains
Grand Canyon
Zion
Rocky Mountain
Yosemite
Yellowstone
Acadia
Olympic
Grand Teton
Glacier

I have visited all of them except the Great Smoky Mountains. They are all wonders to behold. I highly recommend trips to all of these parks. You will not be disappointed. On the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, you have to take park shuttle buses to see the overlooks. I think cars may be banned in Yosemite Valley as well. But Yellowstone is simply too big to do that.

Return to Top
#2190800 - 08/28/18 01:54 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning swiggles
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By swiggles
The busiest, most visited parks are:

Great Smoky Mountains
Grand Canyon
Zion
Rocky Mountain
Yosemite
Yellowstone
Acadia
Olympic
Grand Teton
Glacier

I've been to 5 of the top 6 (only haven't been to Zion). Each has it's own beauty and majesty. Hoping to go to Glacier in the not too distant future.

Return to Top
#2190802 - 08/28/18 02:06 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Glacier NP is amazing. I've been there twice in the last 5 years. Make sure you go in late July or early August as the snow can keep the main road (up to Logan's Pass) closed until mid-July.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2190804 - 08/28/18 02:09 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
heard this morning that it snowed yesterday in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming...while we sit at 96 today...

Return to Top
#2190818 - 08/28/18 02:37 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I echo what Adam said. The so called "Highway to the Sun" road over Logan pass is a must if visiting Glacier. Also, consider venturing on up into Canada to visit Canada's neighboring park, Waterton Lakes National Park. There you can take a round trip boat ride south down Waterton Lake, back across the border into Glacier. At least you could when I last visited. There is the awesome Prince of Wales hotel for lodging. Additionally, just a bit farther north is the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site which has an awesome museum of the Plains Buffalo culture and located at the site where native people drove buffalo herds off a cliff .....I guess easier than shooting with a bow and arrow???

Return to Top
#2190819 - 08/28/18 02:42 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
heard this morning that it snowed yesterday in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming...while we sit at 96 today...

We didn't get snow where I'm at in Idaho, but it did get down into the 30s this morning. Fall is definitely in the air.

Return to Top
#2190829 - 08/28/18 03:31 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning #12
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By #12
I'm not sure 57 is accurate...I see 73 as the average high in July when I google!

I've been there in July and August, and during the day it's plenty warm for tank tops and shorts.

Don't know what to tell you, I also googled it.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2190843 - 08/28/18 04:02 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have been to Yellowstone, but it was about 25 years ago. It was absolutely beautiful and I hope to return some day. We went in late August and while there were a lot of people, I don't remember feeling overly crowded. We stayed in Jackson Wyoming and drove through the Grand Tetons which was also amazing. I do recall going to Rocky Mountain National Park one year in late August and some of the roads were closed due to snow.

Return to Top
#2190845 - 08/28/18 04:05 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Hoping to go to Jellystone this weekend. It is only 2 hours away so it is a regular visit for us. We did get some snow at higher elevations but nothing where I am thank goodness.

Return to Top
#2190857 - 08/28/18 04:33 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Will be in DC in a couple of weeks. We are staying at The Renaissance Downtown. Any suggestions for nearby eateries? Some meals will be provided by the conference, but some will be on our own.
Last edited by OldTymeBanker; 08/28/18 06:02 PM.

Return to Top
#2190874 - 08/28/18 05:32 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning RR Joker
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By RR Joker
Originally Posted By #12
I'm not sure 57 is accurate...I see 73 as the average high in July when I google!

I've been there in July and August, and during the day it's plenty warm for tank tops and shorts.

Don't know what to tell you, I also googled it.

I think you are both probably right. Given the average high/low in July, the average temp is probably near 57 while the average high temp is around 73.

Return to Top
#2190883 - 08/28/18 05:47 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning TMatt87
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By TMatt87
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore

We didn't get snow where I'm at in Idaho, but it did get down into the 30s this morning. Fall is definitely in the air.

well, NPR certainly didn't include specific areas that received snow, just that it had occurred in those three states...i'll let them know to be more specific in the future, or perhaps ask them to say "Sorry TMatt, you still didn't get any" when reporting. The last time i saw low 30s was when i opened my freezer...

Return to Top
#2190902 - 08/28/18 06:38 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Yellowstone and that area is a neat vacation. One of my favorites. I actually think the Shoshone National Park going east out of the east entrance over to Cody Wyoming is even prettier. My husband went to that area this year for vacation and wandered further north to Red Lodge Montana and said it was ah-mazing. Teton Village is fun. Riding the gondola to the peak of one of the mountains (from Teton Village) was wonderful. If I could go again it would be Last August or early-ish September.

Return to Top
#2190922 - 08/28/18 08:04 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Yes!.....the NE entrance to the park down from Red Lodge is breathtaking! It goes through the Custer Gallatin National forest. The east entrance from Cody goes through the Shoshone National Forest....awesome. Also in the area (at least a Texan's definition of "in the area") is Custer State Park across the border into South Dakota and Little Big Horn Battlefield National Monument near Billings, Montana, where you will learn the truth about Custer. The monument was renamed in the early 90's......the name changed from Custer Battlefield National Monument through an act of congress. You can see the actual site of Custer's last stand......very interesting and educational if you're into that sort of stuff.

Return to Top
#2190932 - 08/28/18 08:32 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
bigfish Offline
trolling for the big one
Hey RockChucker, better keep a close eye on your picnic basket!

Return to Top
#2190948 - 08/28/18 09:28 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Will do! There was a kid that was attacked by a bear just a week ago...probably didn't let go of that basket fast enough wink

Return to Top
#2190953 - 08/28/18 09:57 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
We were taking a day hike to a lake in Glacier National Park a number of years ago and were backed all the way down the trail to the trailhead where we started, by a grizzly bear. We would walk slowly backwards around a curve and wait. Pretty soon, the bear would peer around a tree, see us and start walking towards us again. We did this several times until we arrived back at the trailhead, which was at the edge of a lake. The bear finally disappeared into the trees.

Return to Top
#2190979 - 08/29/18 01:18 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Yellowstone, Yosemite, Arches, and The Badlands are on my one-day wish list...

Return to Top
#2190998 - 08/29/18 02:27 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
On one vacation, we drove through the Badlands.....a beauty all its own.

Return to Top
#2191126 - 08/29/18 07:54 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
trying to convince MsGilmore we could fly to denver, rent an RV, make a big swing north, then west, then south, then northeast over a period of 2 weeks, hit all of the above parks...she shuts down at the word "camping"...

Return to Top
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11