BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Thread Options
#2189731 - 08/20/18 03:01 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
We are leaving next Monday for Savannah and Charleston. How far is Hilton Head from Charleston? Is it worth visiting or are the places near Charleston just as good? I'm excited to visit this part of US.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2189738 - 08/20/18 03:17 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Googles says about 2 hours

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2189739 - 08/20/18 03:17 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning Susielou
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By Susielou
We are leaving next Monday for Savannah and Charleston. How far is Hilton Head from Charleston? Is it worth visiting or are the places near Charleston just as good? I'm excited to visit this part of US.

google map

a simple google map search shows a mere 97 miles, with 2 hours travel time...i'm of the opinion that no beach is worth visiting, so you'll need to get someone a little more unbiased than me for the "worth visiting" question.
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 08/20/18 03:19 PM.

Return to Top
#2189740 - 08/20/18 03:18 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think of Hilton Head as a golf mecca....i don't think about it as anything else. But hey, i've never been to South Carolina.

Return to Top
#2189741 - 08/20/18 03:20 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'd stick to Charleston, it's got plenty of stuff and great food choices.

Return to Top
#2189743 - 08/20/18 03:34 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
We don't golf so I think we'll stay around Charleston. Southern hospitality, here we come.

Return to Top
#2189756 - 08/20/18 04:20 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
one deer Offline
Any where but work
Just returned from an 11 day Alaskan Cruise on Holland America the Noordam. Flew to Vancouver BC, stayed overnight; Vancouver is a lively international city had a great time wandering around, ate in an excellent pub on the waterfront. Boarded ship the next day and set sail early evening. First port was Ketchikan, meh, husband went halibut fishing had success not all the boats did, lots of shop keepers bantering for your $$, lumberjack show did not take that in, found museum interesting, homeless population not nice if you don't pass out cash, found the electric cars after we had wandered around for about 2 hours and my mom was worn out. Second port, Juneau,a beautiful city, tons of shops to spend your money in, Mendenhall Glacier and Orcha Bay Whale watching also saw tons of Eagles. Third port Skagway, rode the train taking route gold miners took, not for the faint of heart but beautiful scenery. Cruising the inside passage gives you calmer waters and beautiful scenery, wildlife along the way, you need a good pair of binoculars. Glacier Bay was spectacular, had rough waters after that on the open ocean, many were seasick. Disembarked at Seward and took bus to Denali, stayed two nights there (should have done 3), beautiful scenery, exciting bus tour into Denali State Park, saw 8 Grizzly bears, Doll sheep, Eagles, again the road is not for the faint of heart. Took the McKinley Explorer, train, from Denali to Anchorage, stayed overnight, flew home. Holland America is old school crusing, you can be waited on hand and foot depends on what you are comfortable with, guests were mostly adults; food exceptional, drinks you buy but available everywhere, the spa was fabulously relaxing, should have had a room with a balcony because of so much scenery going by and it is light till midnight-ish, you never touch a bag from the time you board ship until your taken to the airport for your return flight, excellent bus drivers with great tour talks on the way. It was the trip of a lifetime, husband and I took 2000+ pictures.

Return to Top
#2189757 - 08/20/18 04:27 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
That sounds awesome!

Return to Top
#2189769 - 08/20/18 05:03 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning Susielou
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia

I was just in those areas a few weeks ago. It is closer to visit Hilton Head from Savannah if you choose to go. I thought HH was very nice and if you have never been, I recommend you at least go for lunch. There is a great restaurant on water called Hudson's. Also right near there is a quaint town called Bluffton. That whole area is just beautiful, but my favorite stop was Savannah.

Return to Top
#2189774 - 08/20/18 05:15 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Thanks for your post, one deer! I can't wait to do this, some day.......

Return to Top
#2189781 - 08/20/18 05:32 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning Susielou
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Hilton Head is in between Charleston and Savannah, so if you are going to both of those places you could consider dropping by. There are some nice beaches on Hilton Head, but as others have said, the main draw there is golf. If golf is your thing, you'll love a side trip to HHI. There are also some nice vacation resort type places on the island that you could stay at, but for just a side trip, they wouldn't be as big a draw.

Now, me personally, I'd skip both Hilton Head AND Savannah and spend my whole time in Charleston, but I was born in Charleston and have spent more of my life there than any other place, so I have more than a little bias.

Return to Top
#2189803 - 08/20/18 06:53 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning RVFlyboy
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
i'm of the opinion that no beach is worth visiting, so you'll need to get someone a little more unbiased than me for the "worth visiting" question.

Rialto Beach, Washington State.....well worth any drive.

Return to Top
#2189828 - 08/20/18 09:26 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning one deer
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By one deer
Just returned from an 11 day Alaskan Cruise on Holland America the Noordam. Flew to Vancouver BC, stayed overnight; Vancouver is a lively international city had a great time wandering around, ate in an excellent pub on the waterfront. Boarded ship the next day and set sail early evening. First port was Ketchikan, meh, husband went halibut fishing had success not all the boats did, lots of shop keepers bantering for your $$, lumberjack show did not take that in, found museum interesting, homeless population not nice if you don't pass out cash, found the electric cars after we had wandered around for about 2 hours and my mom was worn out. Second port, Juneau,a beautiful city, tons of shops to spend your money in, Mendenhall Glacier and Orcha Bay Whale watching also saw tons of Eagles. Third port Skagway, rode the train taking route gold miners took, not for the faint of heart but beautiful scenery. Cruising the inside passage gives you calmer waters and beautiful scenery, wildlife along the way, you need a good pair of binoculars. Glacier Bay was spectacular, had rough waters after that on the open ocean, many were seasick. Disembarked at Seward and took bus to Denali, stayed two nights there (should have done 3), beautiful scenery, exciting bus tour into Denali State Park, saw 8 Grizzly bears, Doll sheep, Eagles, again the road is not for the faint of heart. Took the McKinley Explorer, train, from Denali to Anchorage, stayed overnight, flew home. Holland America is old school crusing, you can be waited on hand and foot depends on what you are comfortable with, guests were mostly adults; food exceptional, drinks you buy but available everywhere, the spa was fabulously relaxing, should have had a room with a balcony because of so much scenery going by and it is light till midnight-ish, you never touch a bag from the time you board ship until your taken to the airport for your return flight, excellent bus drivers with great tour talks on the way. It was the trip of a lifetime, husband and I took 2000+ pictures.

in other words, it was just okay?

Return to Top
#2189829 - 08/20/18 09:28 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By swiggles
Quote:
i'm of the opinion that no beach is worth visiting, so you'll need to get someone a little more unbiased than me for the "worth visiting" question.

Rialto Beach, Washington State.....well worth any drive.

honestly, i've been to plenty of beaches, i just don't find the attraction...MsGilmore loves the beach and takes several trips a year with her mom and sisters, no thanks. of course, there are also weird people who think soccer is boring, so i get that it takes all kinds...

Return to Top
#2189832 - 08/20/18 09:53 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'm the opposite....i think mountains are really pretty and all, but i have no real interest in spending any time in or near them. Not a big fan of elevation.

Return to Top
#2189833 - 08/20/18 09:57 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
Reg Warrior Offline
100 Club
I love the beach, but I would take a coastal redwood forest over a beach any day. Just thinking about the redwoods puts me in a good mood.

Return to Top
#2189838 - 08/20/18 10:50 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning Reg Warrior
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
...there are also weird people who think soccer is boring, so i get that it takes all kinds...

Yup....that has always confounded me......how people can't see that soccer is the most exciting game on earth!.....waaay better than dumb ol' American football, where everyone actually goes to tailgate and get drunk, not watch the game.....'cause it's too BORING....

Quote:
I love the beach, but I would take a coastal redwood forest over a beach any day. Just thinking about the redwoods puts me in a good mood.

Love me some redwoods.....the height of awesomeness.

Return to Top
#2189857 - 08/21/18 12:35 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
I'm of the opinion that no beach is worth visiting, so you'll need to get someone a little more unbiased than me for the "worth visiting" question.

I've always said the beach would be great if it wasn't for the sand and the salt water.

Return to Top
#2189858 - 08/21/18 12:41 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
whomever was planning on going to hilton head, you may want to reconsider that...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hilton-head...day-2018-08-20/

Return to Top
#2189868 - 08/21/18 01:32 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
whomever was planning on going to hilton head, you may want to reconsider that...

Saw that on the news this morning, though it's only the second gator attack there in 42 years....woman trying to protect her pet. Gators can lunge quickly and can run at about 20mph.

Return to Top
#2189877 - 08/21/18 01:48 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Gators are no joke. And they like chicken...and everything tastes like chicken.

Return to Top
#2189893 - 08/21/18 02:29 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
Hopefully you won't hear about me on the news next week. I'll keep my husband on the side closest to the water. He can be my alligator bait......

Return to Top
#2189897 - 08/21/18 02:44 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
We visited Sea Pines Resort when we were just down there, and being from the northeast, gators were not on my mind as I was walking around there! Scary stuff.

Return to Top
#2189912 - 08/21/18 03:40 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning HappyGilmore
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
People have no respect for the danger of wild animals. We see this in Puerto Vallarta every year. Several big crocodiles live in the Marina, swimming among the yachts and sailboats. They like to lie on the rocks near where people are strolling. I'm always stunned that people will take their kids right up to the rocks to see the crocs. Others will toss food to them. Thankfully no kids have been eaten yet, but a few dogs have been.

Return to Top
#2189935 - 08/21/18 04:50 PM Re: 2018 vacation planning Norman Paperman
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By Norman Paperman
Four-Pass-Loop is on. If I don't check in by Tuesday, send a search party.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7001635/four-pass-loop

Did we send out that search party yet?

Return to Top
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11