Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2175009 - 04/24/18 10:10 PM IOLTA's and Beneficial Ownership
TotalBSa Offline
New Poster
Okay, so I know there are a few threads out there covering IOLTA's and Beneficial Ownership. Having said that, we have a non-profit customer that consists of many different law groups and it is confusing me with respect to collecting BO information. Here is the example:
1. Law Foundation is a non-profit with the board made up of attorneys from different law firms throughout the state
2. Law Foundation sends paperwork with Law Firm Customer A and they open account under the Law Foundation account as a subaccount. Firm Customer is not the primary.

Do we collect BO information on the Foundation and the Firm? I understand the FinCEN guidance on if the attorney opens up the account under themselves, but this is ran through an intermediary. Help appreciated!!!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2190202 - 08/22/18 10:40 PM Re: IOLTA's and Beneficial Ownership TotalBSa
Evergreen_BSA Offline
New Poster
We are looking at the Foundation and not the individual accounts. There's a lack of guidance regarding this topic so we decided to treat the foundation as the agent and IOLTAs subaccounts for purposes of beneficial ownership identification.

Return to Top
#2190204 - 08/22/18 10:43 PM Re: IOLTA's and Beneficial Ownership TotalBSa
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Interesting scenario for IOLTA accounts. Just curious - what State is this?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z