Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2185022 - 07/11/18 08:13 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules edAudit
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By edAudit
based upon the thoughtful posts and comments I am now going from never cellphone; to must have, so my daughter can teach my wife how to limit the use.

:runs through my ed translator machine:

No help.

Return to Top
#2185068 - 07/12/18 11:43 AM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Based upon the thoughtful posts and comments I am now going from neva cellphone; to must have, so my daughta can teach my wife how to limit the use.

http://funtranslations.com/boston

CAMS

Return to Top
#2185081 - 07/12/18 01:27 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules Skittles
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By Skittles
EEGB - I can't believe the June Bug is now 15. Where does time go?

I KNOW. I still think of her as 4, how come she's so tall?! And the little one is almost 13 - in November, I will be mama to TWO TEENAGERS. :: faints ::

Return to Top
#2185095 - 07/12/18 01:51 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Quickly fans EEGB . . . .

Return to Top
#2185138 - 07/12/18 04:06 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I haven't had a chance to read the original post or the replies, but I will add my 2 cents. While it may be tempting to lock your teenager in a cell, even with the best, most thought out rules, there are probably serious legal ramifications. But as a father of two current teens and two who are past their teens - I understand the temptation to lock them up. laugh

Return to Top
#2185683 - 07/17/18 05:27 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
My daughter is 13 and shes had a phone since at least 10 and has Instagram and Snapchat. All her friends, even the more strict ones do. My only current "rules" would be that it's a privilege and it belongs to me along with the service and she can't follow someone she doesn't personally know (unless it's a celebrity/public figure). If I can't trust my daughter to not do the right thing on her phone then how can I trust her in real life situations?

I have no restrictions about having her phone on at night in her room, she's responsible enough to know when she needs to sleep. If she wasn't, then she wouldn't have the phone.

She's been educated by me forcing her to watch shows about teens taken advantage of through drugs, apps and in person,etc. with shows like Dateline, Dr. Phil and other shows that have those topics.

Also, I'm of the belief that kids that have strict rules like monitoring of music, restrictions on what apps they can have and aren't allowed to watch a movie because it might be rated R, etc., are more likely to want to rebel. I feel like I've raised her with the right values and morals. I personally watch a lot of YouTube and associated YouTube drama so that I can know what these people are putting out there (which is honestly horrifying) and I'll ask my daughter if she saw this or that. So that I can judge what's she's watching.

I guess it all comes down to the type of kid you have, what you've exposed them to, how well they respect you and any family/kid rules already in place. But I wouldn't play around, they should know what's appropriate and not and know what you would or wouldn't approve of and if they did something to violate that, then no phone.

Return to Top
#2185717 - 07/17/18 06:51 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Sorry but education and dr Phil makes me laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2185731 - 07/17/18 07:27 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
if you don't monitor her music then likely she'll think rap is good...and that is a parenting fail...

Return to Top
#2185787 - 07/17/18 11:52 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules edAudit
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By edAudit
Sorry but education and dr Phil makes me laugh

Lol, I didn't mean it to come out like that! I meant it more like she's been forced to see stories of things that have happened to kids.

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
if you don't monitor her music then likely she'll think rap is good...and that is a parenting fail...

Lol, luckily so far (knock on wood) she doesn't. If things get this bad, we'll have to re-evaluate our rules.

Return to Top
#2191175 - 08/30/18 01:35 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
We found this app called Life 360. You can set up a circle of family and it shows you exactly where all the registered members are at any given time. You can label certain locations and it will alert you if anyone in the circle arrives / leaves at that location (ie, "EEGB has left work".) It also shows you what percent the phone battery associated with each user is, so when your kid says "Oh, I didn't check in with you because my phone died", you can verify that. smile

They also have a feature called drivers report - it will show what the top speed is for each driver, whether there was texting while driving going on, etc. (Of course in my house that top speed thing is going to be seen as a challenge, with each driver vying for High Score......)

Return to Top
#2191230 - 08/30/18 04:04 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By E.E.G.B
They also have a feature called drivers report - it will show what the top speed is for each driver

If smartphones and this app had been available when I was a teen, I probably would have tried to use it to clock my fast ball. laugh

Return to Top
#2191469 - 08/31/18 09:03 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules E.E.G.B
MonicaMc Offline
100 Club
MonicaMc
Land of Oz
Originally Posted By E.E.G.B
We found this app called Life 360. You can set up a circle of family and it shows you exactly where all the registered members are at any given time. You can label certain locations and it will alert you if anyone in the circle arrives / leaves at that location (ie, "EEGB has left work".) It also shows you what percent the phone battery associated with each user is, so when your kid says "Oh, I didn't check in with you because my phone died", you can verify that. smile

They also have a feature called drivers report - it will show what the top speed is for each driver, whether there was texting while driving going on, etc. (Of course in my house that top speed thing is going to be seen as a challenge, with each driver vying for High Score......)

I was intrigued by Life360 so I Googled it for reviews. Good laugh for this Friday afternoon. Apparently the GPS on this app isn't great at times and is causing many people marital issues.

Return to Top
#2191484 - 08/31/18 10:32 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
Reg Warrior Online
100 Club
If your family has iphones, you don't need an app like Life360. My family uses Apple's share location, so I know where my husband and kids are at all times. The kids know if they turn off the location sharing, I'll be calling every 5 minutes until they turn it back on. As for driving, my kids don't need to be monitored as they follow the rules for the most part,, but my husband.......well, everyone stay off the roads and sidewalks and you will live to see another day.

Return to Top
#2191494 - 09/02/18 10:36 AM Re: Teen Cell Rules beegee
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
The only one we have a little trouble with is my daughter's iPhone, she is always racing ahead or running behind us. It's generally only a "problem" in the really zoomed in view, otherwise it works well.

I have an Android now and I never found the Apple Share to work all that well on my iDevice so this is a big improvement.

Return to Top
#2192518 - 09/13/18 08:14 PM Re: Teen Cell Rules MonicaMc
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By MonicaMc
I was intrigued by Life360 so I Googled it for reviews. Good laugh for this Friday afternoon. Apparently the GPS on this app isn't great at times and is causing many people marital issues.
I can only imagine! laugh

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett