Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2179990 - 05/29/18 04:00 PM Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount
lcc Offline
100 Club
We have a customer who states they deposited cash into one of our ATMs and did not get credit for the full deposit amount, however they are unable to tell us how much they deposited. In the reg., it states that the content of the notice to the bank should, to the extent possible, include the date, type, and amount. If we are unable to finish the investigation before 10 business days, how are we supposed to know how much money to provide for provisional credit? We can continue to investigate by having our ATM vendor physically count the money in the ATM to determine if there is too much, but I don't understand how we are to comply with the provisional credit requirement.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2180224 - 05/30/18 07:35 PM Re: Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount lcc
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Are you able to view the transaction logs to see if any transactions were initiated by your customer?

Return to Top
#2180440 - 06/01/18 03:29 PM Re: Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount lcc
lcc Offline
100 Club
Yes, we are doing the investigation, but it was going to take longer than 10 business days, so I was really wondering how you would determine how much provisional credit to provide, since we don't yet know the amount and the customer doesn't know either.

Return to Top
#2180532 - 06/01/18 10:46 PM Re: Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount lcc
Bombarded CSS Offline
New Poster
It amazes me how many people want to deposit money and when you ask how much they are depositing they have no clue...

Return to Top
#2191654 - 09/05/18 04:12 PM Re: Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount lcc
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Customer filed a dispute on a restaurant charge. He was in another state and went to a restaurant that was experiencing a problem with their payment terminals when he was leaving. He said his bill was $70 or $80-something. The waitress took all of his card information and said they would run the transaction as soon as the POS terminal was back up. He did not get a receipt. Transaction cleared for $147.80. Customer told us that he had paid the tip "separately." When I look at the transaction, I see the pre-auth came through at $118.27, which is a lot more than the $70 or $80-something claimed on the dispute form. I also see that it was a "paper capture" but the merchant ran it though as "fallback." I don't understand how a non-card item could be fallback, but that's another problem. Anyway, I'm having trouble figuring out what his "provisional" credit should be since I have the reported "$70 or $80 something" and the pre-auth of $118.27. I think the end result of $147.80 is the food, possibly drinks and a tip but without anything to go on, is my only option to credit the difference between $70 or $80 something and $147.80? Do I decide in the consumer's favor by giving him the benefit of the doubt that the bill was just $70 or do I favor us by deciding it was probably $89.99? I think the customer is less than truthful at any rate.

Return to Top
#2191707 - 09/05/18 07:51 PM Re: Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount lcc
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Start by contacting the restaurant and ask for a copy of the dinner check. Then have a conversation with your customer.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2191708 - 09/05/18 07:56 PM Re: Reg. E Dispute - Unknown Amount lcc
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Thank you John! We have contacted the restaurant.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett