Thread Options
#2176894 - 05/07/18 01:59 PM Rental property or transitional housing?
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm looking at an interesting loan. Borrower is an individual with a large number of residential rental properties. This particular property is a large older house with a "mother-in-law" suite attached as well as a duplex located behind the main house. The loan approval mentions that after renovations are complete it will be added to his rental holdings and that a "lease agreement is already in place with [a local rehab facility] to rent the property as transitional housing for patients."

What I'm trying to determine is whether or not this property is a 'dwelling' for HMDA purposes. I think it is, because for our borrower it is intended to be a residential rental just like all of his other properties. I believe the fact that his arranged renter will be using the property as transitional housing is immaterial for our purposes, because if that lease fell through this would go back to being just another rental property. Would you agree? Or do you think an examiner would see that 'transitional housing' sentence in the approval and toss this one out?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2176899 - 05/07/18 02:10 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'd call it transitory and not report. I'm sure others disagree with that. The way i'd look at, the fact is that its occupant has a "primary residence elsewhere", and while your borrower may look at it as he would any other rental, the GIR seems to care about the occupants when determining whether it's a dwelling or not.

Return to Top
#2176903 - 05/07/18 02:21 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So you have to break it down as to whether a house that someone rents out will be subleased and then the nature of the subleasees? I think that is a little over the top.

Return to Top
#2176904 - 05/07/18 02:23 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
It might be Randy, but i didn't write the GIR......

Return to Top
#2176905 - 05/07/18 02:25 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And where in the GIR does it say this?

Return to Top
#2176908 - 05/07/18 02:30 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
The definition of "transitory housing" (sorry, i don't have the GIR handy, so if i don't quote this pretty much correctly, please feel free to correct it).....where it says "whose occupants have primary residences elsewhere".

Return to Top
#2176910 - 05/07/18 02:34 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Randy, so you agree that for our borrower this is just a plain ol' rental house? What his renter does with it is not relevant to our loan?

Return to Top
#2176911 - 05/07/18 02:35 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think the GIR says the renter is relevant. But like i said, i knew others would disagree.

Return to Top
#2176913 - 05/07/18 02:38 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I don't think the 2018 GIR dives that far into the prior 'explanation' and doesn't include "whose occupants have other PR elsewhere".

FWIW, I would not go with the sublease purpose. This borrower will rent this property regardless of what the renter uses it for and I don't see how the renter's use can possibly play into this. You may not would have ever known this had he not already procured a renter.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2176914 - 05/07/18 02:38 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Interesting discussion!

So that's 2 (3 really, including mine) for focusing on the borrower's purpose instead of looking past it into the renter's purpose. I just wasn't sure since that 'transitional housing' phrasing was right there on the loan approval, but I keep coming back around to thinking "but what if that lease falls through?"
Last edited by RR Becca; 05/07/18 02:40 PM.

Return to Top
#2176915 - 05/07/18 02:41 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I haven't really dug into the 2018 GIR.....if it no longer has the "whose occupants have other PR elsewhere" language, then obviously i would change my stance.

Return to Top
#2176917 - 05/07/18 02:44 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By RR Becca
Interesting discussion!

So that's 2 (3 really, including mine) for focusing on the borrower's purpose instead of looking past it into the renter's purpose. I just wasn't sure since that 'transitional housing' phrasing was right there on the loan approval, but I keep coming back around to thinking "but what if that lease falls through?"

I'll add this...IF that language is still there, the point to me is what you know at time of your loan consummation. We don't go back and delete loans from our LAR if 2 years into it, the customer razes the dwelling.

Return to Top
#2192421 - 09/13/18 01:09 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
fretzer Offline
Pennsylvania
I'd like to add a question to this discussion. Would you consider a multi-family unit that does short term leases transitory? The property is most likely used for student housing since it's close to several colleges. No where is "transitional" housing noted.

I'm inclined to keep this on the HMDA LAR since it's a multi-family unit in an LMI CT and leases are being signed, most likely for the school year. For all intensive purposes, this is the student's primary dwelling for the duration of school. Would love to hear others opinions.
Last edited by fretzer; 09/13/18 01:11 PM.
Return to Top
#2192422 - 09/13/18 01:27 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? RR Becca
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
So, if the owner was leasing the property to the "Shelter for the Abused" organization to be used as temporary shelter for those in transition you would still consider the property a dwelling and not transitory housing? Or if he was going to lease the property to be used as a daycare facility you would still consider it a dwelling?

I have to agree with raitchay and treat the property as transitory housing based on the known intended use of the property.

Fretzer - off campus student housing facilities are not dormitories and would not qualify as transitory housing IMO.

Return to Top
#2193311 - 09/21/18 01:18 PM Re: Rental property or transitional housing? fretzer
dutchbltz Offline
100 Club
Fretzer - we do a number of loans exactly like this, and we report them all.

Return to Top